Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone mentions the european or brazilian f250 3.9 isb to have a 205-250 hp tune on the ecm. but can anyone actually come up with an engine serial number, a cpl number, or a vehical vin number so it might be possible to get this tune from cummins through quickserve. even a part number for the calibration, the parameters, or the tune would be appreciated.

im working on trying to get more that 170 hp out of one of these engines. and starting to seem like im going to be limited by the ecm. and even more of a pain dealing with cummins and dodge to try and make something work. Um using 5.9 common rail injection pump and injectors as well as bigger turbo. adding a hamilton cam, pushrods, and valve springs. so a little more than the stock 170 hp would be nice.

·
Registered
718 Posts
can't help other than maybe efi live?
I do wanna see a build thread though!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I thought it was the 4.5 that was in the Brazilian trucks, not the 3.9. I am probably worng though.

I am kinda on the same page as camccardell in thinking that EFI Live may be our only solution to this mess. I wonder if it would be possible to flash an '03-06 5.9 ECM into just being a 4 cyl ECM. Getting the codes from the ISB170 ECM and then comparing the parameters to the 5.9 Dodge ECM. I would be hesitant to just start messing with my ISB170 ECM without knowing for sure that I could return it back to stock. The password issue with Cummins and getting into the ECM to change the parameters, does EFI live just bypass that alltogether? If not, then if someone could get one unlocked to where they could pull an EFI live parameter chart from the ECM, it may be possible to match up a 5.9 ECM and convince it to work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going to fool around with it when i get my ecm and harness made. first will be getting friend at cummins to unlock the ecm. next trip will be to dodge dealer for friend to put the 5.9 dodge flash on the ecm and see if it will work.
as for using the 5.9 ecm on a 4 cylinder engine i doubt it. the ecm has on its rom not the flashable one all the engine information like number of cylinders, firing order, cam teeth, crank teeth, ect. the parameters and the tune should just be the fuel and timing map, boost level, what size injectors, govenor rpm, idle rpm, acessories. stuff like that. im not 100% positive on this but it seems it should be this way.

if this doesn't work then its on to tinkering with efi live. easiest option is to just get the engine serial number for the front geartrain 3.9 isb thats in the european f250 and just use that. but seems no one ever see's these trucks to pop the hood and write down the esn, cpl, and trucks vin number.
now your starting off with at least 200 hp and a higher govenor rpm. then use a programer or tuner box for more boost and fuel.
either way im going to try.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Reactions: aldrich1284

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have started to play with my 170.
Have a steed speed exhaust manifold on the way and have a HY35 turbo waiting.
I will get that on and running and then look at a tuner box.
These guys say they have one but I have tried it yet.
http://www.dieseltuning.ca/
Then a bit larger injector would be the next step.
Still like to find a higher HP tune for the stock ECM.

BFN
Randy

·
Registered
219 Posts
EVguy... I've come across your Dakota before while searching for ISB170 stuff and I have to say that I am in awe! What kind of economy does that truck get? Whats the total weight of the truck empty and also loaded with your RV?

Also: Is your ISB170 tuned all the way to max? I noticed that digging around on Cummins Quickserve and using my ESN and CPL that my engine (originally sourced from a Workhorse Van) is called the 420, but the build spec sheet says that its electronically set at 333 lb-ft. I spoke with my local Cummins shop and they said they can unlock that and take it to the highset tuneable power rating for the engine but I haven't had it done yet. My engine isn't installed yet so I haven't been in a huge rush, and they want $300 flat plus hourly rate just to plug into the thing. I may wait until I have the truck all the way together and then just drive it in so I can tweak a few other settings while its in there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks, glad you like it. The engine is back out this week to fix an oil leak and get the turbo swapped.
I have had it hooked up to insight a couple of times trying to figure out why it does not see the cam sensor. New sensor and good signal all the way to the ECM. I have a good local shop who just charges by the hr so its always be a flat $95.
We did a few changes but just things like deleting some non essential sensors to get it out of reduced power mode.
Mine is out of an 03 Workhorse that had 90K km on it which is almost the same mileage as the truck when I installed the engine.
Not sure about the weights or mileage yet. Once we get it back on the road I will get some Vid on U Tube and do a good spec sheet on my web page.
It did a great job of towing the 5th wheel from coast to coast this summer, 16,000km trip.

BFN
Randy

·
Super Moderator
9,025 Posts
I have started to play with my 170.
Have a steed speed exhaust manifold on the way and have a HY35 turbo waiting.
I will get that on and running and then look at a tuner box.
These guys say they have one but I have tried it yet.
http://www.dieseltuning.ca/
Then a bit larger injector would be the next step.
Still like to find a higher HP tune for the stock ECM.

BFN
Randy
Are you planning to swap the HE221 for a HX35?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maximum Rating Performance Data
Governed Speed Maximum Power Peak Torque

Engine Speed 2.300 RPM 1.500 RPM

Output Power 139 kW 186 hp 95 kW 128 hp

Torque 1.045 N-m 771 lb-ft 1.104 N-m 814 lb-ftInlet Air Flow 162 L/s 343 ft3/min 89 L/s 189 ft3/min
Charge Air Flow 11 kg/min 24 lb/min 6 kg/min 13 lb/min
Exhaust Gas Flow 316 L/s 669 ft3/min 6.517 L/s 13.808 ft3/min
Exhaust Gas Temperature 400 deg C 752 deg F 350 deg C 662 deg F
Heat Rejection to Coolan 69 kW 3927 BTU/min 57 kW 3244 BTU/min
Radiator Coolant Flow * 3,4 L/s 53,6 gpm 2,2 L/s 34,9 gpm
Turbo Comp. Outlet Pressure 162 kPa 48 in-Hg 107 kPa 32 in-Hg
Turbo Comp. Outlet Temperature 170 deg C 338 deg F 130 deg C 266 deg F
Fuel Consumption 27,4 kg/hr 60,5 lb/hr 17,7 kg/hr 39 lb/hr
Brake Mean Effective Pressure 1.620 kPa 235 psi 1.655 kPa 240 psi

·
Registered
219 Posts
Its the HY35, almost the same, smaller exhaust housing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can put a 4cyl cal in an ECM from a 6cyl, If you put a 4 cyl cal in a 6 cyl engine it'll actually still run, although rough and on 4 cylinders... The ECM's are identical, you only run into problems if it's got an Industrial cal in it, then it's not good for anything but industrial cals.

im going to fool around with it when i get my ecm and harness made. first will be getting friend at cummins to unlock the ecm. next trip will be to dodge dealer for friend to put the 5.9 dodge flash on the ecm and see if it will work.
as for using the 5.9 ecm on a 4 cylinder engine i doubt it. the ecm has on its rom not the flashable one all the engine information like number of cylinders, firing order, cam teeth, crank teeth, ect. the parameters and the tune should just be the fuel and timing map, boost level, what size injectors, govenor rpm, idle rpm, acessories. stuff like that. im not 100% positive on this but it seems it should be this way.

if this doesn't work then its on to tinkering with efi live. easiest option is to just get the engine serial number for the front geartrain 3.9 isb thats in the european f250 and just use that. but seems no one ever see's these trucks to pop the hood and write down the esn, cpl, and trucks vin number.
now your starting off with at least 200 hp and a higher govenor rpm. then use a programer or tuner box for more boost and fuel.
either way im going to try.

·
Registered
219 Posts
everyone mentions the european or brazilian f250 3.9 isb to have a 205-250 hp tune on the ecm. but can anyone actually come up with an engine serial number, a cpl number, or a vehical vin number so it might be possible to get this tune from cummins through quickserve. even a part number for the calibration, the parameters, or the tune would be appreciated.
A customer of mine in Brazil found this ECM from an F250 but at $1750usd its a bit expensive.
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-461719454-modulo-de-injeco-ford-f250-diesel-cummins-_JM
I might be tempted if it didnt look like it had just been in a fire!
Would be interesting to see how cheap we can get stand alone ECM's

·
Registered
35 Posts
so is there any new info on the ecms?

·
Registered
35 Posts
so is there any new info on the ecms?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I never could come up with anything. Larger injectors gave me a good power boost and it moves my truck very well so for now I have left it alone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you make any progress on this with EFI live? I've been playing with their software but haven't seen anything for 3.9isb. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places..... I've been really impressed with everything they have for the 6.7, but perhaps the market just isn't there for a 3.9L.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Did you make any progress on this with EFI live? I've been playing with their software but haven't seen anything for 3.9isb. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places..... I've been really impressed with everything they have for the 6.7, but perhaps the market just isn't there for a 3.9L.
The 3.9 is a VERY small market.
I cant even get a reply to my emails to the guys that build the MP8 to see if they would build a box for this engine.
I did add water / meth injection last month but have not had to do any serious towing to see what difference it made.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts