Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy gang!

Just a heads up. Starting on Feb 7th there is a dovebid auction in Pomona California for Hostess/Interstate Brands.. They are listing 313 stepvans, most all powered by Cummins 4BTs. Most are Ford chassis it looks like and some Oshkosh. With that kind of numbers the prices might well be pretty low, and most look like decent condition trucks.

http://www.dovebid.com/Auctions/AuctionDetail.asp?auctionID=11461

Good luck!

WereWoof

·
Registered
427 Posts
watch out...

Note a lot of the photos don't match... I wonder how accurate the descriptions are. It would be a real bummer to thumb a ride/ hop on the dog or catch a bird only to find your "bargain" has a big puddle underneath it when you get there..
Maybe the I-5ers ought to carpool down and convoy back.. Put on some earplugs, red bandanas and trooper style sunglasses and roll..

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ya only in Calif

last time in Texas there were only 9 I missed them all ...Some guy out bid me on all of them ....I bid up to 1250.00 on most a couple I bid more tring to get one ...NADA .....He should have give me the 1st one I cost him over 3000.00 that day an didn't get on ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
last time in Texas there were only 9 I missed them all ...Some guy out bid me on all of them ....I bid up to 1250.00 on most a couple I bid more tring to get one ...NADA .....He should have give me the 1st one I cost him over 3000.00 that day an didn't get on ...
Well this time they have 300 plus engines ...I am biding but I won't pay 3000 dlrs ...that is too much.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wondered about the pictures too. I emailed someone with dovebid on that particular question. I had seen the identical picture for two seperate lot numbers. He basically said that they were just representations. Might be smart to look first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not many details

Yah... there are virtually NO details listed on these vans you see what engine they have "probably" and the mileage "accurate or not" and a picture supposedly of the vehicle and thats about it.

I payed about 1800 each for the three fritos step vans I bought in denver, but I also had gone to the depot, talked to the fleet manager and inspected them in person, so I had a really good idea on what I was getting. On these, even tho they look like nice trucks, its a lot more of a gamble.

One thing is for sure, do screen copies of the actual auction listing for each van bid on. Just in case something really isnt right... if its not the van you bought in the picture, it would be much easier to come back on dove bids for misrepresenting an item, especially since its "online preview only".

Still I have had good luck with these trucks I bought and I wouldnt mind having a couple more... *starts thinking... hmmm* lol DANGEROUS!

Good luck on the bidding! Hopefully they go for cheap
:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
These have got me thinking, but I'm a little concerned I couldnt get it back to Boise.

If someone like me came down with a truck that could haul a trailer; what type of trailer would it take to get one of these back? What size car hauler? I don't have a 5th wheel hitch, but know someone in SLC with a car hauler but not sure if its big enough for one of these.

Does anyone have a large tow behind trailer that they would rent that could be picked up between Boise and So Cal to alleast get me back to Vegas where I have a buddy with a shop?

Anyone thinking about getting one of these as well and driving it back up the Interstate 15 as far north as Pocatello? Or up the 5 to the 80 to the 95 if the weather would hold?

Being in a caravan with those more experienced at this type of stuff would be nice even if it was only to hear someone else say.... "Yep, your SOL"

You know what they say about misery…

Let me know :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Someone please correct me if they see something I don't from where I'm looking, however, I think these vans should go for dirt cheap.

Here is my thinking...

The slower economy and housing bust is having an impact on those who use trucks. I see lots of gas and Isuzu Diesel trucks like these step vans up here for sale that were recently used in construction trades etc.

Without a proper preview we could be pitching our money into a hunk of garbage that doesnt match the generic description.

Sheer numbers :eek: supply and demand; right?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Regarding towing one of these on a trailer: they're really big trucks, more like huge. You would need a really serious tow vehicle, at least a 1 ton, at least.

Also they've got duallies so not many trailers are wide enough unless it's an implement trailer.

What I did was used a tow bar hooked up to my little Chevy LUV truck, drove to the stepvan, then used van to tow the LUV behind. Worked for me....

That or ride a cycle and tie it in the back for the return home trip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Regarding towing one of these on a trailer: they're really big trucks, more like huge. You would need a really serious tow vehicle, at least a 1 ton, at least.

Also they've got duallies so not many trailers are wide enough unless it's an implement trailer.

What I did was used a tow bar hooked up to my little Chevy LUV truck, drove to the stepvan, then used van to tow the LUV behind. Worked for me....

That or ride a cycle and tie it in the back for the return home trip.
Yeah, all great ideas.

I have a 1 ton just not a good trailer. I told my wife I would ride down on the Motorcycle last night and she just laughed at me. The highway to Utah was closed for a good day due to snow this week.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I see Mexicans (or other Latinos) on the highways all the time with school buses towing school buses using towbars. I am talking full size, 60 plus pass units. in this is in MN, heading south!

so- If yer crazy enough to try it, you may get away with it- they do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ill be going to the auction to preview the vans and will let you know. I also have an Idea on getting my jeep liberty home after winning the bread van. Do you guys think there is a way to stuff a liberty inside the box of one of those 18 foot vans? I havent done any measuring yet. Mabe sawzall the top off if it doesnt fit.

Other question I read that you can buy a diesel engine compressor tester at harbour freight? What are the exact tool requirments to pull the injectors and do I need a person to read the gauge or does the gauge have a pressure hold .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Being in a caravan with those more experienced at this type of stuff would be nice even if it was only to hear someone else say.... "Yep, your SOL"

Let me know :D[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking of getting one if the prices are reasonable. I'm also in Boise. Ideally I'd think flying/carpooling down and driving them back would be the ideal. I have access to a 5th wheel flatbed, but I don't enjoy the thought of driving it down and back in the winter.

·
Registered
427 Posts

I'm thinking of getting one if the prices are reasonable. I'm also in Boise. Ideally I'd think flying/carpooling down and driving them back would be the ideal. I have access to a 5th wheel flatbed, but I don't enjoy the thought of driving it down and back in the winter.[/QUOTE]

Weather is an issue as well, passes here in Oregon have been iffy with the storms, Nor Cal as well.

Scrap prices are still pretty high and there is always somebody looking to make a buck. Not to mention its a shame to think us 4BT'ers might be bidding against each other.
I think a car rental at some point would be the way to go drop it off and then bring some straps for those who die along the way, maybe some sawzalls just in case.. Sounds like this would make a good reality TV show... Maybe a Bread Truck Destruction Derby as a finale bounce .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought I would be nice and report back on the condition of some of the better 4bt's. But no one has told me if I can do the compression test by myself, and 2 what exact hand tool requirements i need as I have to buy everything to do it. Last chance going once...twice....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought I would be nice and report back on the condition of some of the better 4bt's. But no one has told me if I can do the compression test by myself, and 2 what exact hand tool requirements i need as I have to buy everything to do it. Last chance going once...twice....

I appreciate you reporting back on the condition. I'm sure that would be very helpful and If I buy one there will be a reward involved for your helping on that front. ;) :beer:

As far as how to tell if its a good one, I'm sorry, but I don't know myself. Hopefully someone will chime in here soon enough to help with that.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I'm thinking of getting one if the prices are reasonable. I'm also in Boise. Ideally I'd think flying/carpooling down and driving them back would be the ideal. I have access to a 5th wheel flatbed, but I don't enjoy the thought of driving it down and back in the winter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hear ya on the driving around in the winter.

I better get learned up on how to use DoveBid in a hurry...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts