Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 6329D Deere (6 cylinder, 329 Cubic inches, non turbo). It is currently 95 HP and runs well, but I would like to get it up to 125 HP to 150 HP. A turbo from Deere for a 6329T is supposedly a T04B32. What are the specs on this turbo? I know it is a T4 foot, but that's about it.

Anyways, what turbo should I get? I can't find a T04B32 for a reasonable price. Would an HX30W be sized about right for this engine at that horsepower range? I presume an HX35 would be too large? Maybe HY35? Thoughts? Dougal?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Try and find out what is different on the turbo version of your engine. It might have lower compression pistons, piston squirters for example. Turbo maps are the way to compare turbos. Many have wasted a lot of time and money just because a turbo they found for cheap, and would bolt on, more than if they had spent the money to get the correct turbo. There are probably varieties of B32 turbos, so make you get the correct one. Turbo repair kits are cheap. Someone else on here will probably chime in.

Ed

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try and find out what is different on the turbo version of your engine. It might have lower compression pistons, piston squirters for example. Turbo maps are the way to compare turbos. Many have wasted a lot of time and money just because a turbo they found for cheap, and would bolt on, more than if they had spent the money to get the correct turbo. There are probably varieties of B32 turbos, so make you get the correct one. Turbo repair kits are cheap. Someone else on here will probably chime in.

Ed
Yes, turbo and non turbo were both 16.3:1 compression. Some turbo versions had piston cooling nozzles and some did not. As long as we don't go nuts with the fuel, I think we will be okay. 125 HP out of a 329 isn't asking a whole lot - I know they made them at 105 HP non turbo with nothing but a little more fuel and RPM.

I have been there, done that with the turbo guessing games - hence the reason I am here asking advise.

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
Rule of thumb is 15psi will get you 60% more airflow and power. So I'd expect you'll need 12-15psi to get your power goals.
I'd go straight for a HX35. You're close enough in cubic inches, no point reinventing the wheel here.

Since it was non-turbo I'd keep it conservative. Set the wastegate to 12psi (which is probably opening at 14psi on the bench with a bike pump) and tune it safe and clean for that. Should put you squarely inside your power goals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What's this engine gonna be used for? tractor, power unit? If so turbo sizing will be a bit different than an on-road engine.
For a quicker spool road engines tend to run tight turbine housings and often slightly bigger turbos than constant load engines of the same displacement. On a tractor or power unit fast spool up is much less necessary, hence they run large turbine housings to be able to run at governed speed under full load for hours and not having excessive heat from drive pressure. The t04 platform is probably the most common turbocharger on old tractors etc.
If your manifold is t4 I'd grab the turbo off a 6059t or a jd 404 and bolt it on.

Glendon

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
At 329 CI, you're between a Cummins 3.9 and 5.9 size. The HX30W did come one some of the 6bt's. If I went that route I'd use the Super HX30W which would probably be near perfect for your engine. It came on a Deutz 6 cyl. Those come from China but are genuine Holset units. Can be had in the $500-600 range. The HX35W would also be a decent choice. Both of those turbos have a T3 exhaust port so if you manifold it T4 you'd just need an adapter. The T04B32 you mention seems to be a very common on on John Deere. Don't know the specs on that turbo but do notice it has a non gated turbine housing. Might be a bit slower spooling than a Holset.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What's this engine gonna be used for? tractor, power unit? If so turbo sizing will be a bit different than an on-road engine.
For a quicker spool road engines tend to run tight turbine housings and often slightly bigger turbos than constant load engines of the same displacement. On a tractor or power unit fast spool up is much less necessary, hence they run large turbine housings to be able to run at governed speed under full load for hours and not having excessive heat from drive pressure. The t04 platform is probably the most common turbocharger on old tractors etc.
If your manifold is t4 I'd grab the turbo off a 6059t or a jd 404 and bolt it on.

Glendon
404 and 466 Deere's have a T3 foot and are 404's are especially known for having no lugging ability. I am looking for a fast spooling turbo to come on board at a low RPM.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 329 CI, you're between a Cummins 3.9 and 5.9 size. The HX30W did come one some of the 6bt's. If I went that route I'd use the Super HX30W which would probably be near perfect for your engine. It came on a Deutz 6 cyl. Those come from China but are genuine Holset units. Can be had in the $500-600 range. The HX35W would also be a decent choice. Both of those turbos have a T3 exhaust port so if you manifold it T4 you'd just need an adapter. The T04B32 you mention seems to be a very common on on John Deere. Don't know the specs on that turbo but do notice it has a non gated turbine housing. Might be a bit slower spooling than a Holset.
The super 30 was my first thought as well, but isn't that compressor way overkill for even 150 HP? I know the 40 mm HX30 will do almost 200 HP on a 4BT...

In my opinion, I think an HX35 would be way too big. For example, the HX35 on my 6BT lights at about 1500 RPM and pulls well to about 2500 RPM. Heck, the compressor on an HX35 will move enough air for 300HP +, won't it?

All else being equal, the 9% or so difference in displacement would roughly move that range to 1650 to 2700 RPM, wouldn't it? To add to that, from experience, I know the lower compression ratio will also make it spool slower so we could be looking at lighting an HX35 in the 1800 RPM range on this 329. Now to top it all, I have it set to govern at 2200 to 2300 RPM. If I am thinking about this right, this kinda sounds like a recipe for poor drivability...

Thoughts?

I would like a turbo that comes on board at 1300 to 1400 RPM and is all done at 2500 RPM if I could...

What HX30W's came on 6BT's? 6cm housing or bigger? What compressor? To me, this sounds like the turbo I need. 5 years ago I would be inclined to slap an HX35 on and run it, but I have since followed a lot of advice from Dougal and others and learned for myself that smaller turbos tend to be a lot more usable and driver friendly...

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I had a HX30 that was 42mm with a 12cm twin scroll exhaust that I was told was from a 6BT genset application..........

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
Steve, you're correct that the 42mm HX30W came on an industrial 5.9 and had a 12cc turbine housing in place of the 6cc we commonly see on the 4bt. This engine is 5.4L and depending on power plans you could probably use any of the HX30W's. I suspect the turbine housing on that T04B32 is quite large since there's no waste gate. Holset recommends the HX30W series for engines up to 5.0L but not sure that includes the Super model. That's why I'd lean toward that Super model on the JD to get the larger compressor. Pretty sure that turbo came on a Deutz 6 cylinder. On that JD it should spool fast. From what I can find, the T04B32 compressor wheel is a 43.7/70 which is similar to the regular HX30W with a 44/73. So that turbo would also be a viable replacement and comes with the 6cc turbine housing. That JD turbo sounds very similar to the small H1C found on the 4bt's.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I found a 40mm HX30 in my stash of parts that I completely forgot about. Got it mounted on the manifold but haven't had time to finish the piping yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts