Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we got a 39 Ford short flatbed pickup. Its got stacks and has a semi style to it. Boss wants an enclosed 28' trailer give or take since we got some massively long cars. Rolls Royce limo and 56 Caddy 4 door to name a few. So, we were thinking, (convinced the boss it needs a 4bT regardless with those stacks) this truck needs rebuilt. Has some god awful stuff on it. 4bt since I don't think a 6 will fit in there. It has a 350. Auto or manual? Need to figure out 1t dually airbag suspension. So, what do you guys got for what this thing needs to Hal a car that weighs 3500 to 7000 lbs in a 28' enclosed gooseneck. New frame I am sure for starters. What performance mods? We want it fast, reliable but still be able to pull. What say you?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Nice Ford. You are correct a 6bt will not fit in there, however, a 6bt will be required for the loads you talk about?

Ed

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Whether a 4bt can handle the load depends on how you build it. A single turbo in the 200 HP range will have 500 lb ft of torque. Do twins and get to the 300 HP level then you're looking at 750 lb ft. Those should tow most anything reasonable. Member Eggman can probably tow as much as you plan or more. Will definitely be far more power than that 350. Whether you go manual or auto transmission would be your call. Anything above that 500 lb ft level will probably need a special built tranmission. The Dodge 47RH or an Allison 1000 would be possible. On the manual level there could be various choices. Once you pass that 200 HP level you find small clutch size to be a problem. If this is going to be a tow rig, I'd suggest either the Ford ZF S650 or S750. The S650 came behind the 7.3 and the S750 was used on the 6.0. Both would require a custom adapter which is available and gives you a 13" clutch. One drawback on those transmission is there is no speedometer reading output on them. Now if you wanted to get real serious you could do an Eaton FSO-8406A which can handle 860 lb ft but requires an SAE2 bellhousing. Those larger manuals as well as the Allison may require some transmission tunnel mods. Another issue with older trucks like that is finding a place for an intercooler which will be necessary for any serious power level. You have a really nice truck there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Think you can build a 4bt to handle those loads just have to build it right. I’d keep it smiple with the trans either manual or something like a 47rh that is mostly mechanical. Can control od and lockup with pressure switches pretty easily

1 - 5 of 5 Posts