Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some digging on the forum.. Has anyone tried the 4.5 powerstroke twin turbo setup on 4bt or 4bd1t? Looks like if you had space it could be an option.

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
Seems like we've had a few guys play with that. Most of the guys doing twins have found that the best turbo match has been an HX30W fed by a HX35W depending on power plans. If you were going for an all out assault on power then the Super HX30W fed by a Super HX40W might be the answer. Those are readily available and have proven to work well. Doesn't mean other turbo combos can't work but when a good match is found why change it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I was thinking of using an he221 with my custom hx30. I really like my hx30 but needs a little more low end grunt. Pulls well tho higher up.. Currently my hx30 has a 50mm compressor with 58 turbine. pulls well just under boost a little laggy and smokes.

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
If your HX30W still has the 6cm2 turbine housing that's going to be too small to use as a primary in twins. Also, the HE221W has several sizes of turbine housings for 5.5cm2 up to 7cm2. Not sure how much that turbo can stand. It's internal parts are not as strong as an HX30W. Member Dougal may have some suggestions on that engine. 40 PSI on a single turbo is kind of nuts. Most of our guys limit their twins on a 4bt to 40 PSI to keep from blowing the head gasket.

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
That's very good but even that won't hold if the boost goes too high. It would take fire rings and I've not sure that can be done on a wet sleeve engine like yours. Those aren't recommended for everyday street use anyway. Might have to put double clamps on the turbo hoses and hope the intercooler doesn't burst. Some intercoolers aren't designed for more that about 40 PSI or a tad more.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
. I have been thinking of going to an he221w or super hx30. I had the 44mm hx30 and could do a tad over 30PSI. I really like my current turbo but like i said a little slow on lower rpm but when it lights it feels nice.. I got away from an hx30 because it seemed to flat line so quickly... So i have a collection of turbos including an 44mm hx30, an hx35, maybe i should just try them for twins, all that plumbing and stuff looks like a real pain..

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've got the 44mm hx30 over a hx35 12cm. Works great, boost is near instant, basically I can make boost below usable engine rpm.
Head studs are necessary for sure but I've been running 40 psi and up for 125k, 9 years. I really don't think a 4bt needs o ring at 40, 60 and up might be a good idea tho. No idea about the Isuzu engines tho

I've seen the powerstroke engines, turbos are not huge, I'm sure they will work but they might be hard to come by these days. 2 genuine holsets will set u back under 3k, proven combo

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
A few guys have fitted them, the sizing is close to HX30 and HX35 (good). But the layout is fixed and I think that makes them awkward to fit in.
I don't think anyone has bothered dyno'ing the result to show how it went though.

Regarding boost, the Isuzu's seem pretty tough and don't need supporting mods to the limit of the stock fuel pump (180cc, ~200kw, 800Nm) which only needs ~35psi if you've got good intercooling.

50mm single, yeah that's going to be in surge until high rpm. 44mm is about right. I've got a built TD04-19T here which I have had for years and haven't fitted. It's a billet wheel with 58mm extended tips, 11 blade turbine and 5cm housing. Should be fine for 35psi. A 7cm turbine housing would give more power but the small housing is intended for fast spool and no smoke at altitude.

I'm still running a 40mm T25. 15 years and still chugging along at 24psi with no intercooler.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also wondered about a spool valve. Their is a company Diesel pump UK that sells a real nice T3 spool valve. The bottom line is I don’t think I can improve much more for what I have. If I go to a he221 with very responsive low end the trade off is a turbo that dies early. I think I have the most responsive big turbo without compromising to much lag. It really runs nice, sounds nice to, but a spool valve could be the ticket. Any $0.02?

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
I also wondered about a spool valve. Their is a company Diesel pump UK that sells a real nice T3 spool valve. The bottom line is I don’t think I can improve much more for what I have. If I go to a he221 with very responsive low end the trade off is a turbo that dies early. I think I have the most responsive big turbo without compromising to much lag. It really runs nice, sounds nice to, but a spool valve could be the ticket. Any $0.02?
Fast spool valves are garbage. It is a warning the turbo is the wrong size and they ruin efficiency.
HE221 is a turbo that trades efficiency for boost capacity. The TD04HL-19T is related to the HE221 but more efficient with lower boost capacity.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
What is the compressor size and turbine size of that turbo.
Compressor is normally 46/56mm. Billet ones are often 46/58mm, but the extended tips measure a bit over 60mm: Kinugawa Mitsubishi TD04 TD04H TD04HL 19T Anti Surge Turb Compressor Housing + 19T billet wheel
Turbine is 45.6/52mm. Here's the 11 blade high flow type: TD04HL 45.65/52mm 11 blades 93mm shaft length turbo wheel/ turbine shaft&wheel | eBay
Turbine housings range from 5-12cm. 5cm is a special SAAB size, 6,7,8cm sizes are pretty common aftermarket. Isuzu had a 12cm housing on a 4BG1T industrial engine.

19T compressor is good for 38lb/min.
TD04HL turbine with 5cm housing has CCF of 11lb/min.
6cm is 13lb/min
8.5cm is 17.2 lb/min

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Between the HX30-44mm and the HX30 Super for flow but will be faster responding than those because it's lighter and spins faster.

Compared to the HX30 Super it's a lot more compact.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts