Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone messed with the 4.5 powerstrokes (6.0 minus two cylinders). I know they weren't overly popular here in the US. Just curious about reliability.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Not sure if we've had any guys do much with one of those. Might try a search. As you said, they weren't overly popular.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If I ever get my hands on one it will be sporting a ve or inline pump in an f150!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
they were used in the "LCF" ford cabovers / international version in the mid "10" and NEVER got the 6.4 version upgrades
NOT a well respected motor also saw use in "IC" branded school busses

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I don't know if the engine had some of the same issues that plagued its 6.0 brother. For it's application it was probably OK. At one time Ford was considering that one for the F150 but that deal didn't pan out. Ford might have been better using the Cummins ISBe 4.5 but those engines are not sold in the USA. Never have figured that one out. Same basic engine as the 6.7 with 2 less cylinders.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Anybody have any sources for these engines? I could care less about the injectors/hpop/turbo....just looking for a rebuild able long block less the fuel system and turbo.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
May not be the easiest thing to find since it had such a limited use. There's a complete, running engine on ebay for $4000 shipped. Can't say if that's a good price or not. Just a bare block is $1000. Might check some of the truck salvage yards. The Ford LCF was only from 2006-2009. Not sure of what if any IH trucks may have had that engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
May not be the easiest thing to find since it had such a limited use. There's a complete, running engine on ebay for $4000 shipped. Can't say if that's a good price or not. Just a bare block is $1000. Might check some of the truck salvage yards. The Ford LCF was only from 2006-2009. Not sure of what if any IH trucks may have had that engine.
International sold a version of the LCF I can NOT remember the name right now I just know nether was "respected" as a good choice and everybody went Mits fuso's OR Hino's ETC

·
Registered
214 Posts
And that's why I don't understand why there isn't more crappy engines lying around, that can be had for cheap. If everyone hates them so much why are people wanting crazy prices for them, I understand they are somewhat rare but not like they are a collector item. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
Probably most of the engines are still in the same truck they came in. Don't know that they all up and died, but they just didn't catch on. Cummins made ISBe 4.5's that had more power but aren't available in the US for some reason. The Cummins Euro 6 version has 210 HP and 626 lb ft torque. That's a lot of grunt from a 4 cylinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts