Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
man that's awesome.... did you swap in the diesel or are they available somewhere like that?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ha.. Yet another VW diesel guy jumping ship to the dark side... Be interested to see some pics of the project truck..

I sold my hotrod Volvo diesel with a built VW D24T to buy my DD powdered GMC.. It was fun bearing up on newer diesel trucks with the Volvo but not nearly as cool as the sound of a screamin' Detroit! Especially with twin sticks to grind gears with, but that my just be me.. Ha

Welcome aboard!
Jason

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ha! Whitebread! Welcome to the dark side! I'll be calling you tomorrow and blowing some smoke up your phone on the detroit side of things, and hopefully ask you a couple questions about a ALH/BHW twin turbo project I have going on here if you got time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Been poking around for the ever elusive DD bell housing/flywheel to bolt up my sm465. Finally found someone today who had the 3 pieces, but they wanted $1000. I think I'll pass on that deal for now haha.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Been poking around for the ever elusive DD bell housing/flywheel to bolt up my sm465. Finally found someone today who had the 3 pieces, but they wanted $1000. I think I'll pass on that deal for now haha.
GEEZE! Everyone says how these engines are pretty much obsolete now and its just us guys doing it for fun. Yet so much of this junk just sitting around rusting away is going for a million dollars or "its going to the scrap yard" So you'll take 10x what its worth, or pennies per pound at the scrap yard. It kills me...

Jason

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Exactly! I talked to Grigg earlier and he said $75-100 per piece was the rough going rate for old used parts. So when this guy told me $1000 plus 2 hours labor at shop rate to pull the parts off a motor out back, I had to hide my laughter. None of us are out here are millionares, we just like being different and disturbing the peace!

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Yep, I have paid at most $75 for a 53 series automotive housing, or flywheel or thin gear cover. That makes $225 for a three piece set, and I think if you look they can be had for that or cheaper. Or apparently lots more if you 're in a rush, though I don't think they're worth that much.

Grigg

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
On the other hand,................. I can tell you those 3 pieces would cost 1800 bucks in the last DD price book I have, which is 1988 if I remember right, but it's too darn cold to go downstairs and look . So, in my thoughts half of new would be a fair price. Plus , if you couldn't come up with the right parts, you'd pay a machine shop to make parts and reconfigure a flywheel with no idea of their accuracy, trueness, fit and finish and you'd give the machinest a blank check. How about the parts you might get from Advance Adapters or Phoenix Castings................you'll pay for the metal and the engineering that went in to the part. The parts that DD designed years ago provide a job you can depend on and it wont be a goobered up gob of junk. Then there's the knowledge that goes with what I might sell as opposed to the average junk yard. Your doctor or lawyer doesn't work for nothing !

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
As with any hobby, some of the good stuff you just gotta pay for, and is still worth the money. I hate paying retail or prices I don't consider a deal, but sometimes you gotta pony up. I gave up on that particular setup you're hunting for because there is better out there that no-one wants. For example I went to a 5 speed OD 3053 h/d spicer out of a deuce and a half in my other conversion truck. The only part that really gave me the run around was the flywheel, I'm sure glad to have the one I got! I got it local from another good guy in the hobby, but it wasn't cheap!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I agree there's a time an place when you have to bend over and pay, but in this case I refuse to pay that much something I can make myself for $400 or less. For my application, sticking with the parts I already have to work with is going to be much easier than swapping to a nv4500 or any medium duty 5 or 6 speed and trying to run a divorced 203/205 doubler in a reg cab, short bed lifted 6". I don't have any drive line length to play with.

As part of my job/business is designing adapter plates, if I cant find the dd parts I need, I'll make my own sae to Chevy adapter and just run the OE Chevy bell on the ranger od. I would rather find the factory parts and put time elsewhere, but will do as needed to keep budget in check.

This is an LS to Audi r8/lambo gallardo trans adapter and flywheel the CNC machinist and I created at work a few months back. SAE to chevy should be cake after this pain in the arse.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
While I was over at my friends shop earlier tonight, I collected my free sm465. Little dirty but she'll work just fine with a 32 spline 4wd output shaft tossed in!

Now it just needs to thaw some so I can get over to the engine machine shops storage building to get the 4-53, 20ft of plowed snow piles in the way to the door now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
now if you built a detroit diesel powered snow blower, that would solve your snowed in problem :rolleyes:
Somebody say Detroit Diesel Snowblower? I can help you out on that one. We have 3 of these machines.

·
Registered
164 Posts
whitbread i love the marriage of low tech and high tech. i have been investigating the use of a ford 6.0 vgt turbo on my dd453, rock on and let the smoke pour!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Since a few are wondering where I went and what happened to me over the last few months figured some reasoning was due.

The project is still planned and WILL happen.
- Opened up my sm465, found it full of water, so I sold it to a buddy for a 12 pack. Now on the hunt for a RT/RTO6610 and will do a divorced or custom made married T case setup.
- Got T boned in my compound turbo/awd VW wagon by a lady who blew a red light at 50mph on july 10th. Totaled the car (don't worry, I kept it) and put me in enough hurt to not be motivated to do much for about a month.
- The week after I got back to working in my shop, landlord comes in and tells me he's booting me out and I have 30 days to GTFO for no plausible reason. Place was fully packed 3600sqft shop with 12 cars and equipment. Only place I could find on such short notice was a 2000sqft unit just outside Rochester, MI. Finished moving exactly a month ago today. Been playing tetris and busting butt to finish jobs that piled up when I was hurt/moving.

So now I'm hoping to have all the backlog finished up over the next month or so and over the winter get the 4-53 over here and start rebuilding it. Slowly but surely it will happen damnit!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all. Just read the whole thread. Very interested in the old new technology. I want turbo my 6v53. Have the lower comp trunk type pistons. Any advise or threads I can read? My 1948 cheverolet loadmaster tipper truck will be a car hauler and a toy to piss off the environmentals. Can't wait to take it into London. Tax exempt. Mot exempt. And low emission exempt. I'm thinking twin side straight through stacks though as many tunnels. Anyway I'm ramberling on. I have supercharged my 67 mustang with methanol injection. So too know about forced induction etc. Bit these 2 strokes - I need to hey my head around I have a 671 blower. So happy I have a 6v53. Heavy I know bit myself 2.5 tonne truck will take it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Two steps forward, three steps back. The engine and the parts to do up a longblock are at the machine shop ready to be assembled. But, my folks just made me a deal I couldn't refuse. They're moving to california this fall and offered if I wanted to move to our cabin outside of Gaylord MI, that they would just sign the mortgage over to me. So for the same amount of money I'm paying now, I'll have 8 acres of woods on a 100 acre lake with a 4100sqft house. But, we don't have a pole barn up there to house my business and projects, so that's there the three steps back comes in. Goal is to have the land cleared and barn built by end of september and move in october. So basically every weekend between now and then I'll be up there building a 2 story 40x60 barn that will be sunk into a large hill and installing a wood boiler system for the house and barn.

Will be a crapload of work, but walking out to this every morning will be worth it (minus the snow this time of year anyway).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
While in the moving process now, these were un-earthed off the bottom of the pallet rack today. Just seeing these again makes me want to get this project rolling now!

Wasn't remotely planning on this purchase last week, but scored it for $610 from the state of michigan web auction site. It will come in handy for the detroit project and compliments my overkill lathe nicely :).

21 - 40 of 72 Posts