Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but you suck!.....I have been making do with a little jet mill and thought I was lucky to get that.......I am truly envious......though even if I got that deal it would be a PITA because they won't let me have 3 phase power in my subdivision .....

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Don't let lack of 3 phase power hold you back.
I have about 50hp worth of various machine tools running off a converter at my place. Not all at once but I could run about half at one time, more than I can tend to in a one man shop.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yup, just like Grigg said, either a rotary phase converter or a variable frequency drive that takes single phase in and spits out 3 phase. Welders have to run on a rotary converter though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh I know,...it can be done. Just more trouble and expense. ...thus the PITA comment. Plus the fact fact that here in Alaska there are no good deals on machines.. . And finding a good deal "in the states" quickly goes outside of my price range when shipping is figured....truth be told my cave is such a mess I don't use the equipment I do have as much as I would like....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
FINALLY dug this greasy monster out of my machine shop buddy's "back 40" type building this morning. Going to tear it down at the machine shop in the morning and hot tank what I can there before bringing it all home, to only move it to the new shop in about 4 weeks.

The new shop is coming along, just slower than it's supposed to be as any construction project goes. Ordered a Danmar 2 post 10K hoist today to take advantage of a hell of a sale; $800 off and free freight shipping. Will make working at the new shop 100x more pleasant than my current place.

·
Registered
288 Posts
FINALLY dug this greasy monster out of my machine shop buddy's "back 40" type building this morning. Going to tear it down at the machine shop in the morning and hot tank what I can there before bringing it all home, to only move it to the new shop in about 4 weeks.

The new shop is coming along, just slower than it's supposed to be as any construction project goes. Ordered a Danmar 2 post 10K hoist today to take advantage of a hell of a sale; $800 off and free freight shipping. Will make working at the new shop 100x more pleasant than my current place.
wow, this is more than just a vehicle build thread! Totally agree on hoists - have a two-poster clear-floor in my current workshop and could never go back. Every job is quicker, easier, cleaner and better with it

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Picked up a number 2 housing and flywheel, a turbo blower inlet, and an air compressor pulley from a local detroit parts hoarder I was tipped off about a few days ago. He didn't disappoint! You name it, it was there. 2-71's, 2-3-4-6-8v53s, a 4-51, any 71 you wanted, a bunch of 6-8v92's, and even a few monster v16's. I initially thought his pricing was a little stiff, but once we worked out an additional trade deal, I'm 110% happy. Going back on monday for a set of 53 jakes I'm trading him some other parts for :dustin:.

Wasn't planning on it, but I also picked up a full air start system that a buddy was kind enough to grab for me from a truck in a scrapyard for the cost of a 12 pack. He's going to bring it over in a week or two. Camshaft was shipped off to Colt Cams yesterday to get as much valve lift as possible and have a ddec injector lobe put on. Slowly but surely things are falling together!

My cab and one fender are getting rather rusty on my truck, so my solution was to buy a complete rust free rolling truck in the middle of a resto. Sold the bed, rolling c10 chassis, and the interior. Kept the cab, fenders, hood, and core support to transplant on to my frame.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
It's been a hot minute, but a lot has changed and happened!

Finished the new shop to a working state most importantly. It's not 100% done and organized, but at least it's semi operational.

The basically free air starter and relay valve my buddy snagged me

I had to handle the disgusting bendix compressor again tonight organizing shelves, so I decided it was time to do something about it now that I have the means to do so. Once all done, I realized I put the gasket kit in with the box with the set of 4 DDEC injectors that I shipped off to Exergy Performance a few weeks back. 3 months ago, it seemed like a logical place to put the gasket kit....D'OH. I'll have to call them tomorrow and see if they will kindly send the kit back to me.

Who knew it was yellow under all that?

The block, head, pan, front and rear housings, blower, and other assorted bits are all being powdercoated and as soon as I can knock out a few jobs here at the new shop, I'll go pick it all up back down in detroit. Sorry purists, it's going to be chevy orange and black. No alpine green to be found here!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Come over and visit!

Picked up a bunch of stuff from powder coat shop while I was downstate. Starting to look like something now!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
After you have been involved in Detroits for a while, parts will start to appear, partly because no one knows what they are.

You might want to consider a 5 speed trans to go with your 'splitter', closer ratio gears w/o having to shift the splitter. Clark, NP, etc., instead of 465.

Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
After you have been involved in Detroits for a while, parts will start to appear, partly because no one knows what they are.

You might want to consider a 5 speed trans to go with your 'splitter', closer ratio gears w/o having to shift the splitter. Clark, NP, etc., instead of 465.

Ed
If you read back in the thread, the 465 was full of water so I took it as a sign and went on the hunt for a rt610/6610. That's why there's a powder coated number 2 housing in my last post.

I finally found a 610 and I'm going to pick it up on Saturday actually along with a divorced np203 to make a divorced doubler.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Visited the toothless hillbillies today and brought home goodies! The RT610 I found out there a couple weeks ago ended up having a broken gear and had some water in it. So I hunted around the yard for 4 hours and found what was left of a 1980 GM truck that happened to have a trans still in it. Also found the elusive divorced 203 to steal the rangebox from for a divorced doubler setup and a shallow oil cooler housing for my 4-53.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Got some goodies today! Rest of the OD kit and gaskets will be here in the next day or two. That should be it for parts I need to redo the trans!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Got the rest of the trans parts, let's have fun!

Heat and a 5 ft cheater wouldn't budge the yoke nut, so some on the fly redneck engineering using my 4600lb bench and the forklift. Worked like a charm!

Mainshaft torn down for cleaning and OD gears

Mainshaft reassembled with OD gears and countershaft gears pressed off to get flipped

All flipped and meshing nicely

Rest of the guts cleaned

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love what was getting done here, did the project ever get completed?
Dont know much about the old screaming demons, but would like to learn more about juicing them up like WhitBread has done (was doing???)

41 - 60 of 68 Posts