Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Some more progress over the last week or so!

The copper sealing washers for the injector feed/return ports. If anyone ever does a ddec conversion and needs to make their own jumper lines hopefully this helps!

Got all the fuel jumper pipes bent and valve springs installed. Need to machine the jake specific rocker arm bridges so I can put the other side exhaust rockers on. The jake brakes only pop one pair of exhaust valves.

Sadly, my pretty ceramic coated exhaust manifold is not going to work haha. Time to hunt down a different 453T exhaust manifold that sits the turbo lower since I would like to keep my hood.

I needed a remote oil filter adapter so I whipped one up out of a chunk of scrap.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Curious, could that manifold be inverted or would it get in the way of the blower? Not all that familiar with Detroits but the manifold looks reversible.
Your eyes are correct, the manifold could be flipped and point down, but the blower is the way. The manifold is a chevy c60/70 factory 4-53t piece which is setup to have the blower on the driver side of the engine and hang the turbo nice and low. I moved my blower to the passenger side for my blower bypass circuit to work the way I want, so I need to hunt down an industrial 4-53t manifold that sets the turbo lower.

I've had to chance to knock out some more things here and there! I need the jake specific exhaust rocker bridges, so lets make some! They're being cut from 4140 and will be sent off for heat treating to get the hardness up.

Instead of using a silver series bypass blower, I'm going to do an external bypass circuit to the other side of the block. I'm using a 3" pressure activated butterfly valve meant to be an exhaust cutout originally. It was ordered off ebay, we'll see how long snail mail from China takes on it. I 3d printed a prototype piece before I screw up any aluminum.

To clear the jakes, I need a taller valve cover than the original. I could cut two stamped steel ones and weld them together to make a tall cover, but what fun is that! I designed a 2 piece o ring sealed cover that I'll mill out on the cnc. I 3d printed a couple pieces to check corner radii and bolt hole locations.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
My gears and front pullies finally came back from balancing at LDS Machine so I thought it was a good excuse to get the motor timed up and bellhousing on! It's finally starting to look like something!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Made a little more progress over the last few months. Goal is to have the motor running on a stand before christmas.

I tried ordering a borg s362sxe, but I apparently ordered it the day before the price increase so I was forced to cancel the order or pay $240 additional for the new wholesale price. I opted to cancel and have borrowed a s361 and a s471 from a friend of mine for mockup and initial testing. It will likely get a pair of VS racing, Forced Performance, or On3 turbos.

I also bent over and ordered the truetrac for the dana 80 rear end that's getting swapped in. Even at wholesale, the damn price went up $70 since last time I looked.

Got a free oil pan, of course it was nasty and needed work.

Since this was originally a front sump pan and a rear sump configuration from DD is basically non existent, I had to make a custom pickup.

I tossed the cork gasket in the trash can and right stuff'ed it on with new SS allen bolts

I picked up a super low mile 6.7 cummins viscous damper to try and incorporate into the build also. These never had a harmonic balancer from the factory. It can only help as I plan on spinning it up well past factory rpms.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Well I suppose it's time for another photo dump of progess!

Since I'm a dealer, I had southbend clutch build me a 14" twin disk organic unit. All parts are standard truck parts that should bolt together right? Wrong. My flywheel had the pattern for a 12" clutch drilled/tapped, not a 14" unit. So I got to work!

Disk just barely cleared all the preexisting holes, so we're good to proceed.

Can see the mismatch of bolt patterns

Faro arm used to measure bolt pattern on pressure plate

Wohoo!

Next, got the DDEC injector harness fit into the cylinder head. Just need some loom on the wires in a few spots now.

I still haven't found two massive chunks of aluminum to make my billet cover from, so I cut two stock covers to make a tall one to clear the jakes for the time being.

For the blower inlet, I flipped it over and cut the goofy horn part off the top. My OCD wants to make a new billet housing that's cleaner, but this thing is going to covered by turbos and there would be zero gains. Still need to put the 2" inlet pipe into it facing forward.

The eaton truetrac for the dana 80 rear finally showed up, so now I have everything on hand to rebuild/regear it so that'll get started soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
To mate the 6.7 cummins damper, I needed a way to make the damper run concentric on the detroit crank snout. I turned out a tophat looking ring out of some scrap 7075 that is a .001" press fit onto the crank snout and dowel pins to the back of the damper. The center hole in the cummins damper was already 3/4", so that didn't need modified at all. I used the cnc to drill/ream the additional holes into the backside of the damper.

Ta-da!

Since I have a BMRS crimper setup, I couldn't help but crimp up an oil line to check one more little thing off the list. Just need to get correct size cushion clamp to anchor the line where the mockup clamp/bolt hole is. A good friend happens to be a Pulsar Turbo dealer, so I bought a S362 and a s475 for the turbos. Hopefully they're close as no one has any first had experience with substantial fueling.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Very nice, any time estimates as to the first start? Would love to see a video on that one.:) I think this is about the nicest 4-53 build yet.:)
Thanks! I'm hoping for shortly after christmas. Next big step is to build a stand so I can fire it up. I already picked up the steel casters, just need to grab some tubing from a friend's shop.

Last little magical piece I'm waiting on is the new DDEC trigger wheel setup from Leid's. They've apparently been working on a new tone ring/sensor cover setup that bolts into one of the 5 bolt covers over the cam/aux shaft gears. Since that saves me a ton of hassle mounting a tone ring/sensor elsewhere, I'm happily waiting for that.

·
Registered
13,300 Posts
This build is sort reminding me of ARAMP1's build of a 4-71T in a Chevy truck. haven't heard from him in years. Won't be long before his twins will be driving. It's a shame a lot of his photos were washed out by Photobucket. His was an incredible build.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
This build is sort reminding me of ARAMP1's build of a 4-71T in a Chevy truck. haven't heard from him in years. Won't be long before his twins will be driving. It's a shame a lot of his photos were washed out by Photobucket. His was an incredible build.
Hey now! I know this project has been underway for a hot minute, but its never stopped we're finally close! The old chevy has one last job of hauling a small steamroller tomrorow and it's done for the season. The detroit has to be in there by next april as that's when the truck needs to come out for hauling duty!

One can also get 2 or 3 Al factory 3-53 Jake
covers, cut them apart, weld back together.

Ed in CO
I looked at that option also, but the steel covers were free :).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Whit,
Are you offering your custom "Whitbread 53a" assemblies yet ? Im sure you'll have a line of folks on the list.

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Machine tool Automotive exterior

May 22, 2019
Bicycle part Gas Font Wood Motor vehicle

Also.
Where is your custom airbox blow-off valve (exhaust cutout) going to dump to ..just surrounding ambient air ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Whit,
Are you offering your custom "Whitbread 53a" assemblies yet ? Im sure you'll have a line of folks on the list.

Also.
Where is your custom airbox blow-off valve (exhaust cutout) going to dump to ..just surrounding ambient air ?
A member here has been testing a set of my jakes with good results over 10k miles now. New units will be available through Ol2Stroker webstore (aka wayne64ss here). The should ready to start shipping in 3 months or so.

The part you're referring to is an external air bypass circuit, not a blow off or any sorts. The primary air flow path is to leave the high pressure turbo, to the 2nd gen dodge IC out front, then from the IC to the butterfly. Once boost hits 15psi or so, that butterfly will open and will let the majority of air directly into the airbox and completely bypass the blower. There is a small 2" pipe that will go from the main charge pipe to the blower for idle and low boost operation.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts