Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am in the planning stages of building a truck rod; it will be the cab from a 40's International truck, custom built frame, etc. Some might classify as rat rod, but I would take offense - nothing will be ratty, but it may be paint challenged. I have a Brazilian 4-53T that is in basket case condition. About 15 years ago I bought a "good runner" from a junkyard that does lots of diesels, and it turned out to have had water damage in the cylinders. The place was also a rebuilder, so he offered to get all the parts for a rebuild - all new cylinder kits, valves, bearings, cam followers, gaskets, seals - everything. Some assembly will be required.

I also got an RT610 from the same place. I have both the SAE #2 bell housing, and also have the bellhousing that the 4 bolt new process / Clark, whatever bolt up to.

So, my question is this. Am I going to hate the 10 speed? I plan for this to be mostly a fun cruiser, but also occasionally plan to tow with it. The goal is a hotrod - so some good acceleration would be nice. Will the 10 speed kill that aspect? Yes, part of the coolness is to have a bunch of gears to row through... But, can you skip gears if needed for quicker acceleration?

Disclaimer - I'd rather not get responses saying I need to ditch the Detroit and get a Cummins. I like the Detroit and it's staying!

Thank you,
Jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using a Ford 10.25" truck rear end with a 3.55 gear set. I'm also using tall tires with a 32" diameter. This gets things in the ballpark, though I haven't ruled out turning it into an RTO610 with the OD kit. I also might consider using an auxiliary box - though the one I have is a really big 4 speed.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes you can skip gears as much as you want. The only reason to grab each gear is when you are loaded, and that's with a big truck, so in your application skipping will most likely be required.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Watch the canadian truck rodeo boys, you can shift an Eaton plenty fast LOL. You'll probably be able to start in 4th, then flip to high range and shift 6, 8, 10 if you're running light. With 3.55 and only 32's, you're going to want OD to do 70mph, 2600rpm vs 2000rpm. Get in touch with Phil over at [email protected] for the OD kit parts. They were very reasonably priced and shipping was quick. See my thread for photos of the od conversion process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts