Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a lot of debate on engine mounts, and I did search the forums, but many posts do not overly have good photos any more or part numbers, but i am looking for part numbers and/or ideas for the 3 engine mounts for a 4-53T. I know a single-ish front mount and 2 rear mounts are required. I have the automotive style SAE2 flywheel housing. Not many medium sized truck scrap yards here in NE Iowa to go look at so its difficult to see what options are for putting the 4-53T into my 1951 Dodge Farm truck.

I'm leaning towards some fluid/hydraulic mounts for the rear with a rubber mount up front but open to ideas,

Thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I used stock DD front mount, several are available and SAE clutch housing side mounts, with rubber cushion mounts mounted upside down to steel factory side mounts strengthened on my '37 GMC. 1" X 4" X length neoprene snow plow blade material works well for making mounts from scratch, check your local highway dept. for source, however if one lives in FL, SOL.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used stock DD front mount, several are available and SAE clutch housing side mounts, with rubber cushion mounts mounted upside down to steel factory side mounts strengthened on my '37 GMC. 1" X 4" X length neoprene snow plow blade material works well for making mounts from scratch, check your local highway dept. for source, however if one lives in FL, SOL.

Ed in CO.
Thanks Ed, Im struggling finding an sort of stock front mount nor PN. I live in the middle of Iowa so finding a plow is not hard. There is a massive truck yard in Eastern Nebraska, but the on-highway use of the 4-53T was somewhat small, and as I understand expensive, so of the 20-30 C50-C70 trucks that yard has, only like 3 had the 4-53 option. you wouldnt happen to have any photos of your setup would you? Ill keep looking for a OEM front rubber, I have the front mount itself, just not the part that goes between the mount and the frame.

I am also leaning towards just finding some good isolator material and making some mounts like an indivudal on another forum mentioned, similar to a 4 link, rubber bushing inside a tube, then bolt to the SAE housing.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Lingle, here is a shot of my front mount, used rubber snow plow blade for cushion, not all bolts were necessary.
Thanks Ed, Im struggling finding an sort of stock front mount nor PN. I live in the middle of Iowa so finding a plow is not hard. There is a massive truck yard in Eastern Nebraska, but the on-highway use of the 4-53T was somewhat small, and as I understand expensive, so of the 20-30 C50-C70 trucks that yard has, only like 3 had the 4-53 option. you wouldnt happen to have any photos of your setup would you? Ill keep looking for a OEM front rubber, I have the front mount itself, just not the part that goes between the mount and the frame.

I am also leaning towards just finding some good isolator material and making some mounts like an indivudal on another forum mentioned, similar to a 4 link, rubber bushing inside a tube, then bolt to the SAE housing.
Lingle, somehow the Administrator will not allow me to post a picture, never happened before? Send me your email and will send direct, I e. Edprussatearthlink.net

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So just bringing everyone up to date, after this forum searching, I found that the OEM Detroit Diesel mounts most likely were GM PN 3941316, which was replaced by some others landing on a International PN 479237C1 which has a Dorman replacement part of 917-5101. these appear to be the same as the OEM, but depending on where you go are ~$30-70 in cost each(with the GM 3941316 being on Ebay for the most money). I will be looking into other options for the front but have solidified my rear mounts with either Lord 2 piece CB series mounts or most likely using some Energy Suspension poly mounts used for suspension and motor mounts and making some custom ones.

·
Registered
1951 Dodge B3F
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lingle, here is a shot of my front mount, used rubber snow plow blade for cushion, not all bolts were necessary.

Lingle, somehow the Administrator will not allow me to post a picture, never happened before? Send me your email and will send direct, I e. Edprussatearthlink.net

Ed in CO.
Ed, I tried to email you but keeps getting rejected...linglebrandonatmediacombb.net if you want to try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts