Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I just purchased a rare old bus and its got a 4-53T in it with about 50~100K on it since its last complete rebuild maybe 20 years ago. I'm in Denver and I plan on using it for an RV. Its been an RV since long before the reman so I'm hoping the engine is just about broken in. Its been mostly highway miles and light to no loading. So I hope its in good shape.

What I need to do is tune it for altitude, which I think it just going to be bigger injectors. I have some BB injectors from my old 7.3 International but I have no idea what fits this thing. Also a little concerned about getting these old ones out in one piece.

Any Ideas ?

I havne't really dug into this thing yet as I don't pick it up until Wednesday but yeah. Its at sea level now so I doubt its tuned for 6,000~10,000'

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You best do some homework and learn a few things about a DD...................the unit injectors for a 2 stroke aren't interchangable with any other brand. Along the way, you'll learn that with the blower ...............and the turbo, a DD doesn't have such a high derate due to altitude as a 4 stroke does.

How much does the bus weigh is more of a factor for an engine that altitude .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Round 2

I don't know what it weighs yet. I'm guessing between 15,00 and 18,000 lbs

But going from sea level to 7,000' its bound to need some adjustment

Oh and yeah, this is my homework ;--) Only two stroke I own is a chain saw

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Larger injectors only make the altitude problem worse. If the "tuning" you want is to reduce smoke then smaller injectors and or more delay on the fuel modulator.
If you want more power you need more air, perhaps swap a "natural" engine blower, they have longer rotors than the T blower.

First drive it and see how it does. I've driven a Detroit powered truck through Denver and higher and didn't really think it was a problem at all.

I've also driven a 14,000 lb truck with a 4-53T and that's a load, won't be winning any sort of race except a slow one. It'll pull it just fine but not fast.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
One thing that can help is to make sure the intake gets cool, outside air, not preheated by the radiator, etc.; make sure oil cooler and water radiator are clean with unobstructed fair flow, higher altitude air is less dense, thus, less cooling effect than more dense air, at sea level for example.

An I'cooler would also be beneficial, if, of course if the bus engine compartment/air intake would allow.

Let us know when you get it here.

Ed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
00n0n_dYTdsmomG8L_600x450.jpg

8369-1952WhiteBeckWhiteBeck-2.jpg

Thought I'd show a few pictures

Oh and I was curious. I'll know fast if I'm OK with the performance of this engine. Assuming I decide to swap it out, what can I swap it out with ?

I don't know what clutch it has but it has the RT-610 10 speed tranny

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its 1 of 10 and it looks like its the only survivor. I fly out Wednesday to pick it up.

I'm going to be real curious what front end it has, along with what brakes, suspension and clutch.

I just dropped some dime on that thing so the rebuild will have to wait till next season. Hope it holds up that long. Owner says its in great shape and he seems like an honest sort so, fingers crossed. First thing is the 1800 mile trip home. Yikes ;--)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm not normally interested in buses but that is beautiful! What a head turner, good find. Does look a bit on the large side for a 4-53 though... Not knowing engine bay details etc. can't say what else would fit, but a 4-71T or 6v53T would be an obvious choice if it fits, or maybe even 6v92T ;)

·
3,907 Posts
Not knowing the bus, if it's 453T powered now, and you are thinking of a swap for more power, a few options occur to me, in no particular order.

6V53T (preferably silver series), if you aren't towing anything, the rest of the drive train may handle this, as the name implies, it's a V 6 instead of an inline 4, no idea how wide your engine bay may be.

If you have height but no width, 471T, one of the members on here is building an aluminum one, while it will likely be heavier than the 53 series 4 cylinder, an aluminum block and head could save a few hundred pounds.

After that, it would seem another brand is in order.

While I can't recommend a 6B for that, the current trend on Copart seems to be the ~330 HP CAT engines from diesel pusher motorhomes.

I've seen some go cheap, because of a fire in the interior, that didn't go below the floor (engine was fine).

As with everything, verify what you have, BEFORE swapping.

What you are getting appears to have more than enough cool points to make up for being slow.

As others have suggested, more and cooler air may get you what you need.

Be aware a ~200 Diesel Hp jump may turn your chassis into a pretzel, be more than the brakes can handle, or cause it to drive like an out of balance crossbow bolt. :eek:

Good luck, it looks like an awesome ride. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Remember, these old buses are probably geared for a 45mph speed limit, so the 4-53 was enough back then.
BTW Conelrad, that isn't the fairly common Flxible clipper, but something of similar shape, that I've never seen before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a cool bus! I saw pictures of it online and have always thought a bus like that would be a fun project. The 4-53T does seem a bit small for the application though.

I'm also in Colorado, and in the middle of a 4-53T project. Good to have DD friends in the same area code.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all

I'll try and answer all your questions.

Its a White & Beck, one of ten ever produced and appears to be the only surviving example.

There are NO specs available.

Its a one of a kind from what I can tell.

I fly out tomorrow morning to pick it up.

I have no idea how fast it is or isn't, I'm hoping it can do 55 ;--)

I'm OK with the motor assuming it goes at all. But if its a pain in the ass then its outa here. I'll have to measure the engine compartment when I get it home.

I'd be much more comfortable with a newer engine.

I'm in Denver for the next month or so and then off to Yellowstone for the summer, say 5 months. Then back to Denver.

I'll try and stay in touch.

Say

How come I signed up for Email notification and I get no email notifications ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
If the 453-T cant get the job done you could look for a 453T silver. The silver has a little bit more performance than a standard 53 series. If I ever get caught up with projects I would like to improve upon my induction system on my 453T with a modern turbo like the Borg Warner sxe series or a ball bearing Garrett. At least it has a 10 speed should hopefully do 60.

·
3,907 Posts
Boston 1, it may not have saved your preference for notification.

Check your subscriptions under "settings" at the top right of the page, then, if you have enough subscriptions select "View all subscribed threads" immediately below and by the right margin of the subscription list (ignore this step if the button doesn't appear). Check the box in the far right of the row for this thread's subscription, then scroll down to the "selected threads" button and select your preferred notification option (sounds like you want "instantly, using email" ).

Best of luck, I hope you are able to make use of what's in there.

I am surprised it's a "T" as that bus appears to be from an age when I would have expected it to be truly rare to see a turbocharger on anything, let alone a 2 stroke, diesel, bus.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts