Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going with an open 4" exhaust with no muffler. Wondering if any of you have done it, and where your exhaust pipe ended [in front of rear wheel, behind rear wheel, rear of vehicle] and how loud was it?

Mine will be a daily driver so it can't be real loud, but a full mellow exhaust sound would be fine. Tell me more?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds good on my 6BT-A Dodge. bounce

·
Registered
66 Posts
Jimmie. Both of my 6B's are open 4". Both exir at the rear of the trucks. The RC system is much shorter than the W-350 ext cab, and they are both pretty loud! Doesn't bother me, but I can hear either one of my trucks leave a "stop sign" about 3 blocks away. Especially if the wife is driving.

You will probably opt for a muffler of some sort.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
this place sells 4" exhausts that breathe and are quiet supposedly. If I do a 4" exhaust, I plan on driving up there for them to maybe bend it up...
http://www.pinnaclepowerexhaust.com/

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys, that convinced me. I suspected it would be pretty loud but was still thinking maybe somewhow with a 4" it would end up liveable.

I'm thinking this might be a good choice for a muffler, just blow out my pipes to 5" at the muff, then maybe run the rest of the length at 5":

http://store.airflo.com/m100465.html

That site at the link seems to have high quality stuff at very reasonable prices.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
From the pinnacle site, they say about their muffler:

"The muffler has a 6-inch body, 30 inches in length, with a 4-inch spiral louver core. The muffler is packed with high temp cera-wool. It can take the heat and not blow out. We have tested them for thousands of miles. This muffler will flow as good as a straight pipe, without a lot of noise."

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
There is an 18 foot bread delivery van in my area that is running around without a muffler. At low speeds when it pulls out it sounds like a farm tractor. At higher speeds it sounds like a cross between a tractor and a ricer with straight raspy exhaust. I can easily identify it at 1000 feet away! My 6BT Dodge has more of a mellow sound with straight 3-1/2" exhaust exiting in the stock location. I think using some sort of a resonator or muffler would be a good idea to eliminate those raspy sounds unless you want to impress the ricers in your area. FWIW, four inch might also be a bit of a headache to install and an expensive overkill in my opinion.

Bob

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at the website but didn't see any separate components offered, DC. maybe I need to look again. I do plan to fab my own because it so much cheaper than a kit, plus not much chance of finding a kit made to fit my truck. I'll check out the muffler, thanks!

I have room for the 4" and not much difference welding up 3", 3 1/2" or 4". Don't see why it would be overkill when it lets the engine breathe much better and helps lower EGT's? As for the 5" that's just out the back of the muffler to keep the back pressure down.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i got 2 of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-SMOOTH-MANDREL-BEND-TUBING-ASST-BENDS-PER-TUBE_W0QQitemZ330080449717QQcategoryZ33633QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

shipping is a lot for one, but it's only 5 more bucks for each additional pipe. I figured i'd cut em up and use them for my exhaust, it turns out the taipipe is almost perfectly bent for my Durango. I just need to send it straight out the back instead of angled, i'd have to have it pretty low to clear my rear suspension.

are the magnaflow muflers on ebay any good? it sounds like i'm gonna want something for it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i got 2 of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-SMOOTH-MANDREL-BEND-TUBING-ASST-BENDS-PER-TUBE_W0QQitemZ330080449717QQcategoryZ33633QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

shipping is a lot for one, but it's only 5 more bucks for each additional pipe. I figured i'd cut em up and use them for my exhaust, it turns out the taipipe is almost perfectly bent for my Durango. I just need to send it straight out the back instead of angled, i'd have to have it pretty low to clear my rear suspension.

are the magnaflow muflers on ebay any good? it sounds like i'm gonna want something for it.
Wow, $60 to ship one. I am not familiar with the types of SS used for exhaust. I work at a chemical plant. We use 316 most of the time. Rarely we will use 309. These are T-409. Is that acceptable? From what I see on the add you don't know quite what bends or lengths you are recieving. The purchase price seems "right".

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I would also imagine the $60 shipping DOES NOT INCLUDE the "$20 BROKERAGE FEE" charged by UPS for all incoming packages from Canada. It would be wise to check this before purchasing. Also note that the US Postal Service and Canada Post do NOT charge a brokerage fee for their across the border service.

·
Vendor
2,651 Posts
All 400 series S.S. is higher grade quality and more pricey. T-409 and T-416 are used on aircraft exhaust sytems.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would also imagine the $60 shipping DOES NOT INCLUDE the "$20 BROKERAGE FEE" charged by UPS for all incoming packages from Canada. It would be wise to check this before purchasing. Also note that the US Postal Service and Canada Post do NOT charge a brokerage fee for their across the border service.

it was 140 shipped for 2 tailpipes, not a bad deal if you ask me. I have them, they are nice pieces.

·
Registered
645 Posts
All 400 series S.S. is higher grade quality and more pricey. T-409 and T-416 are used on aircraft exhaust sytems.
That is not correct. 409 was developed for the automotive catalytic converter market and is what any OEM "stainless" system is made of. It will corrode on the surface and turn rusty color but it will last much, much longer than an "aluminized" system. 300 series is more expensive and it will not corrode on the surface like 409 will because it has a higher Chrome and Nickel content, that's why it is more expensive. 409 is more easily welded and formed than 300 series.

·
Super Moderator
8,765 Posts
400 series stainless is ferritic. 300 series is austenitic.

Austenitic work harden really fast (i.e during bending) and pull a lot when you weld them. Basically a real pain to work with.
The ferritic steels behave more like mild steel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts