Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at picking up a 2008 Ford F350 dead diesel 4x4 to swap a slope nosed '41 Powerwagon onto. Got a 4BT and thinking of going M2R5 trans. The Ford's got Dana Super 60 front axle and Sterling 10.5" rear. I will have to shorten the frame (wb about 156") to 1/2 ton '41 wb 114" but I'll probably make it a 8' flat bed so more like 138"wb. Might have NP271F transfer case.
Any one done a swap with 1999-2008 Ford chassis? I'm looking for input as I'm new to building 4x4s (at least working on them, I've got a 2005 dodge Ram 2500 4x4 but 230K miles it's still going without major problems-knocking on wood!)
Mel in Oregon

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You will have better luck finding information if you use "M5R2"

I have over 70,000 miles on a junk yard M5R2 (see signature below). The synchronizers in 1st and 2nd are shot - but (with a little force) still shifts. Probably your most "affordable" choice, but not suited to heavy duty hauling or towing. Be prepared for frequent replacement of leaky clutch cylinders (they are inside the bellhousing, the input shaft goes thru it - and the *&^%$#@! transmission has to be removed...). The original Ford OEM part, and most of the replacement parts are molded plastic. I recent found aluminum master and slave clutch cylinders - I don't have enough miles on them to have a valid opinion...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Russ, it's going to be my farm truck-picking up feed, hay & supplies, yeah it's rather over the top for my needs but it's a great excuse. I just have always liked these trucks and the '41 just about fell in my lap. So from what I've read the M5R2 would suffice. Do you have a source for the aluminum master & slave clutch cylinders as I've heard like you're saying it's a pain to replace. Do post up your results with these parts-many will be appreciative of your discovery.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I will look it up in the morning.

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Don't think the M5R2 will mate to the transfer case. That '08 truck has the NV-273 F. It has a 34 spline input where the M5R2 would have a 31 spline output. There may be an aftermarket kit to join the two. Was the '08 automatic or manual? Auto transmission was the 5R110 and the manual was the ZF S6-750. You could join either of those to a 4bt but it will take about $1500-2000 to do so. There can be other transmission choices as well.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I will look it up in the morning.
I've lost 2 long reply's so far this morning. Giving up and sending a short version.

Replaced the master, slave and hose on 5/19/2019. Aluminum cylinders came from Autozone and O'reilly (all are "in stock" at the local stores this morning), hose from a local independent store (That day - each store had one of the needed parts in stock).

Slave Cylinder - search for 1997 Ford F150, 2 x 4, Base model, 4.2L V-6 (fits lots of years)

Master cylinder - I searched for the same truck - search for your F350 and compare part numbers

Clutch hydraulic hose - Independent store had it in stock

NOTE: A quick search of RockAuto did not show any aluminum parts. the RockAuto site is useful in telling you what vehicles a part number fits

Russ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't think the M5R2 will mate to the transfer case. That '08 truck has the NV-273 F. It has a 34 spline input where the M5R2 would have a 31 spline output. There may be an aftermarket kit to join the two. Was the '08 automatic or manual? Auto transmission was the 5R110 and the manual was the ZF S6-750. You could join either of those to a 4bt but it will take about $1500-2000 to do so. There can be other transmission choices as well.
I'm sure it's a auto trans but I going for a 5 speed manual, either M5R2 or ZF 5S-42 since I'm hearing NV4500 parts are getting shall we say unreliable. Thank you for pointing out the spline difference. My quick search shows there are splines to replace OEM 34 spline but I am not real versed in working on transfer cases but not adverse to doing so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've lost 2 long reply's so far this morning. Giving up and sending a short version.

Replaced the master, slave and hose on 5/19/2019. Aluminum cylinders came from Autozone and O'reilly (all are "in stock" at the local stores this morning), hose from a local independent store (That day - each store had one of the needed parts in stock).

Slave Cylinder - search for 1997 Ford F150, 2 x 4, Base model, 4.2L V-6 (fits lots of years)

Master cylinder - I searched for the same truck - search for your F350 and compare part numbers

Clutch hydraulic hose - Independent store had it in stock

NOTE: A quick search of RockAuto did not show any aluminum parts. the RockAuto site is useful in telling you what vehicles a part number fits

Russ
Yes, I found the aluminium master and slave cylinders at O'reilly online. Thanks for finding that.
Something must've been in the air last few days messing with the internet. I had much frustration trying to use internet too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What I'm wondering is how feasible swapping the powerwagon body onto the 2008 F350 frame would be. I've read guys like 70's frames because they are flatter. A guy on Powerwagon Advertiser did one on a 94 Dodge frame. Don't know how that compares to '08 Ford though.
Thought I'd add a pic of the truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
I sent Advanced Adapters an email to see if they have any adapters for the NV 273-F transfer case. If anyone has one it would likely be them. The Ford ZF 5 speeds have the same 31 spline output as the M5R2. Yes, it seems that some aftermarket replacement parts for the NV4500 don't have the best reputation. You could always sell the NV 273-F and use a BW1356 which came behind the ZF-5 or you can easily adapt a Ford NP205 which also has 31 spline input.

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Just got an email back from Advance Adapters. They don't have any adapters for the NV 273-F transfer case. I guess there haven't been many requests to adapt older transmissions to that newer transfer case. Yes, CJ, the BW 4407 is another possible. I also found a company called Cobra Transmission that has a 31 spline input shaft for the NP/NV 271/273. Price is only $96.99 which would be cheap if the transmission bolt pattern matches to the transfer case. It's their part # 421670A. If you look long enough you can find most anything on the internet. Here's a link to that site. NP 271, NP 273, Input Shaft [421670A] - $96.99 | Cobra Transmission They have a toll free number so I'd call and explain the possible plan of mating a ZF S5 to that transfer case just to be sure there are no extra surprises.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can also use a BW4407 behind the zf5 as well.
I hadn't heard of the BW4407, mostly what comes up is NP205, NP208, BW1345 and 1356 if I remember correctly. Thanks for mentioning that, I'll look into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got an email back from Advance Adapters. They don't have any adapters for the NV 273-F transfer case. I guess there haven't been many requests to adapt older transmissions to that newer transfer case. Yes, CJ, the BW 4407 is another possible. I also found a company called Cobra Transmission that has a 31 spline input shaft for the NP/NV 271/273. Price is only $96.99 which would be cheap if the transmission bolt pattern matches to the transfer case. It's their part # 421670A. If you look long enough you can find most anything on the internet. Here's a link to that site. NP 271, NP 273, Input Shaft [421670A] - $96.99 | Cobra Transmission They have a toll free number so I'd call and explain the possible plan of mating a ZF S5 to that transfer case just to be sure there are no extra surprises.
Hey char1355, thanks for checking out possibilities for the NV 273-F. I'll call next week as they're east coast and too late to call. I'll ask about both ZF S5 and M5R2 as the F350 seller is busy for a few days.
I am inclined to get this F350 even though I'll have to pull/sell off the crew cab body and utility box and that it's geared just on the high side with 3.55 gears. But with stock 33.2" tires the calculator comes out at 65 [email protected] rpm, 70 [email protected] 1888 rpm. Which from what I've read would be ok.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome Mel... The BW4407 was only used a couple of years that I'm aware of. 96- maybe, 97 and part of 98.

Cj

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, thank you for all your help. While searching for axles I came across this jewel. So I diverge...off on another path! Mel

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
  • The ZF 5 speed and M5R2 would both have the same 31 spline output and rear bolt pattern. The M5 might have come with 2 different bellhousings. One small block Ford and the other a modular depending on what engine they were attached to, The old truck looks pretty decent considering it's near 80 years old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts