Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone !

I'm new to this forum , i searched and I did not found the info I need so I turn to you guys .

I want to swap a detroit diesel in a pick up to tow between 10k and 15k lbs

What you think would be the best. I cant decide between a 453t and a 6v53t for reliability and towing power

Thank you

·
Registered
583 Posts
I would go for the 6V53T as you can get an easy 300HP and somewhere near 650 FTLBS of torque. I have a 4-53T in my 2009 F350 and tow with it, but am always wanting more power. I'm about 200 HP, 450FTLBS of torque so it struggles in the mountains towing. Other than that it's a great engine.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go for the 6V53T as you can get an easy 300HP and somewhere near 650 FTLBS of torque. I have a 4-53T in my 2009 F350 and tow with it, but am always wanting more power. I'm about 200 HP, 450FTLBS of torque so it struggles in the mountains towing. Other than that it's a great engine.:)

Awesome the 6v53t was my goal but will it be possible to swap it in a pick up without to much trouble ? Fab work is not a problem but i'd like to work on the engine without having to remove the cab do you think it os doable in 2003 silverado or im better get an older truck ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Awesome the 6v53t was my goal but will it be possible to swap it in a pick up without to much trouble ? Fab work is not a problem but i'd like to work on the engine without having to remove the cab do you think it os doable in 2003 silverado or im better get an older truck ?
Better measure up the 2003 engine bay as most of the newer bays are really small. The 6V53 fits pretty nice in my 2009, but like Ed says there's very little room. I lifted my cab 1 1/4" for the 4-53T, but the 6V53 will need about a 3" lift if you use the stock turbo location. Even then you would have to have a hood scoop to clear the turbo. Here's a video of test fitting the 6V53.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree the 6V-53 would have adequate power, however fitting one in a pickup will be a major job, with little extra room.

Ed in CO
Thanks for the answer , it will sure be a tight fit I've seen it done a couple time but it is a lot of work for sure

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is having a vehicle whose suspension it up to the task. A 6V53T will weigh around 1500 lbs. If you can find one of the military versions some of those had aluminum blocks which would help a little. Shaves 143 lbs off the weight. I would generally think along the lines of older pickups because of the larger engine bays. The old square body GM dually from the late '70's to '80's comes to mind. They had super strong axles and frames. Same goes for the Fords from the '80's and 90's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Better measure up the 2003 engine bay as most of the newer bays are really small. The 6V53 fits pretty nice in my 2009, but like Ed says there's very little room. I lifted my cab 1 1/4" for the 4-53T, but the 6V53 will need about a 3" lift if you use the stock turbo location. Even then you would have to have a hood scoop to clear the turbo. Here's a video of test fitting the 6V53.:)
Very instructive video ✌ I already have a 3 inch bodylift on the truck but for the 6v53 I think i'll have to swap a solid axle because i think the ifs would hate this engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thing to keep in mind is having a vehicle whose suspension it up to the task. A 6V53T will weigh around 1500 lbs. If you can find one of the military versions some of those had aluminum blocks which would help a little. Shaves 143 lbs off the weight. I would generally think along the lines of older pickups because of the larger engine bays. The old square body GM dually from the late '70's to '80's comes to mind. They had super strong axles and frames. Same goes for the Fords from the '80's and 90's.

Yeah that was my thought to take an older truck for the project .

I dont find a lot of 6v53t here a couple from mobil crane or generator but I dont know how to know if they are good for a swap or have the good specs or rotation

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Here's one for sale but of course it's not in Canada. This a 6V53T out of a fire truck. Price is $6000 including shipping. Don't know if that is good or bad price wise. Would probably be a bit more in Canada dollars. Detroit 6v-53 6v53 2 stroke Turbo On Road DIESEL ENGINE | eBay Here's another in the same price range out of a truck. Detroit Diesel 6V53T Turbo Engine RUNS EXC. FRAMECUT! GM Truck V6 | eBay Here's a 6v53t silver from that same seller. Good bit more money. Detroit Diesel 6V53T SILVER Turbo Engine RUNS MINT! LOW LOW HOURS V6 6V53 | eBay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes 6000Usd in canadian dollars is 7500$ so it is a little to high for my budget . I found one here for 3000$ out of a crane the engine is yellow the number 5076-5340 but cant find the spec on the net . Do you guys know if there is a place to decode the model number ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Here's the model number explanation, first four numbers should be (5067) 5 is 53 series, 06 is 6 cylinders, 7 is vehicle application. 5340 is clockwise rotation viewed from the front, oil cooler on the right and starter on the left, (viewed from the front), turbo charged and 4 valve head. Other than being turbo'd it's the same configuration as my 6V53.:) If you proceed with your Detroit swap I suggest you get a manual, has heaps of good info.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
4-Trucks has a BUNCH of 6v53 in inventory (no affiliation). They are down in Florida, and they don't list prices. Anyone ever bought a motor from them? Kinda weird how they paint all the Detroits ford blue. wtf?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the model number explanation, first four numbers should be (5067) 5 is 53 series, 06 is 6 cylinders, 7 is vehicle application. 5340 is clockwise rotation viewed from the front, oil cooler on the right and starter on the left, (viewed from the front), turbo charged and 4 valve head. Other than being turbo'd it's the same configuration as my 6V53.:) If you proceed with your Detroit swap I suggest you get a manual, has heaps of good info.
Big thanks , thats very helpfull ✌🙂 I'll buy a manual for sure

1 - 17 of 17 Posts