Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes and no. The flywheel for the Cummins Chevy adapter is a special piece, and it's niether light or cheap. However, the bolt pattern on the flywheel is for a 454 type clutch.

Maybe an aftermarket engine adapter would support or require a different clutch plate, but even then I don't know that the bolt pattern for the Cummins crank shaft is at all similar to a Chevy crank, they'd probably go with something more common like a Dodge Cummins flywheel or something custom.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,643 Posts
can you use the 454 flywheel and clutch on a cummins using the 4 spd tranny?
Surely your not suggesting a Chevrolet flywheel (GM) might fit a Cummins B series? Are you referring to the Chevy trans adapter, flywheel and clutch assembly? The Cummins/Chevy flywheel does use what is commonly called a chevy 12" clutch (for a 454), at least mine did. It worked, no problems.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
One can always drill a Cummins crank bolt pattern on another flywheel, and same for a clutch, IF the starter ring gear, etc. line up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just curious on what possibility's there might be. I have an adapter and flex plate but im wanting to run the 4spd in my pulling truck and thought hey you never know and it doesn't hurt to ask either

·
Registered
770 Posts
there is alot on info in the stickys on this, you can use the chevy/cummins flywheel or the ford/cummins flywheel with a chevy adapter plate. be aware that you might have to mis match the disc and pressure plate depending on your application.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have built and competed with Cummins powered pulling trucks. Save yourself a lot of money and headaches and get a Dodge flywheel housing, flywheel, and run an aftermarket pulling clutch. The Ford and GM flywheel housings are too small to run a big clutch that will hold the power. I blew a ton of money trying to make Ford and GM size clutches work, the Dodge FH has the room to run a big enough clutch.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,643 Posts
A pulling truck, that changes everything.
What Ggg said X2.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
A pulling truck, that changes everything.
Yeah when I got to the 5th post and the "minor detail" of this being a pulling truck came to light I thought the same thing. lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
I broke two clutch hubs on 454 clutches just hot rodding on the street. They won't put up with the torque without serious mods. Next thing that will break is the 1 1/8 input shaft....

·
Registered
126 Posts
I broke two clutch hubs on 454 clutches just hot rodding on the street. They won't put up with the torque without serious mods. Next thing that will break is the 1 1/8 input shaft....
On a 4BT or 6BT? The 454s had torque numbers similar to or greater then what a 4BT will do (stock anyway). Maybe it's how that torque is delivered, the low RPM, and probably more "dynamic" nature of the torque output?

·
Registered
441 Posts
6BT in my scout... I turned the pump down - it was making too much power to last. Both times the clutch disintegrated 300 miles from home. I had to fix it once in a parking lot and once in a driveway at my cousin's house - not fun!

Once the splines on the hub broke into pieces and once the steel disk driving the springs sheared off all of it's arms. The input shaft survived all of that...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts