Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  brobrad 
#1 ·
OK,I had rebuilt my 47RH and I'm now somewhat puzzled about one thing which may or may not be a problem.

Before I fastened the torque converter to the flex plate I could rotate the transmission tail shaft in one direction which is normal. However; I suspect something maybe is not right after installing the torque converter fasteners and torquing them down I can not get the tail shaft to move manually when shift lever is in neutral. I have the bands set a little tighter and changed the ratio of the band actuator arm and thinking this maybe an issue.

I have not started the diesel yet so I could top off all the fluids.

#2 ·
After careful review I suspect the aftermarket flex plate maybe the issue so no starting until problem is resolved. When I installed the transmission I made sure the converter rotated smoothly and had the proper gap to flex plate all was OK.

I'm going to back off the converter bolts and see if the binding goes away........

#4 ·
It was me, after checking the torque converter bolts I realized "I didn't put enough elbow grease into trying to rotate it."

Reactions: soberroddersclub
#5 ·
Glad it worked out. i've had my share of fun with those bolts. i like the stud setup much better. I accidentally left one bolt out too far before i got them all starts in the TC. it hung at the top of the rotation on the motor/transmission adapter. had to back the trans off to get it out of there.

Reactions: soberroddersclub
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.