Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 4b out of a generac generator. for a wopping 175 smackeroos. but i like turbos. ia there and way to convert my 4b to a 4bt. im kinda wantting to put this engin in a f150 and think the turbo will help alot on the power. im aware that the 4b has higher comp. compared to the BT then i also some info on an adapter to the stock gas zf 5 speed. please help im really excited about doing this. thanks in advance.:idea:

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i took the slugs out of the engine and surprizingly this thing is SUPER clean inside! but the #1 cyl wall has some funk in it looks like old nasy oil/water mix but everything else os good. so curiuosly i called the guy i got it from and he sent me to his mechanic. i asked how many hrs were on the engine and why he thought it needed a sleeve? he replied that there was a miscomunication and the engine was missing on cyl 1... and he thought it was a injector clogged... then he said that the engine only had 573hrs on it. and i about pooed my pants. so now im thinking about buying 4 new injectors and gaskets and sell it as a fixed genset engine... but man i have always wanted to have a 4BT. i did notice it has the squirters to cool the pistons but i dont think i could just slap on a 4bt inj. pump and ext. manifold and turbo and be done. ive looked fairly hard for the diffrences on the 4b compared 4bt and not really found out what i really need to know.. what do you guys think?????

·
Registered
190 Posts
i'm doing the exact same thing, and i disagree that it is nessarly cheaper to buy a automotive based engine, not when you can buy a 4b in good shape for under $200 vs a high milage automotive engine at $1500-$2000 a pop.

first thing to do, figure out what injection pump is on it.
that will determine your fuel system mods nessary to increase fuel to make use of the turbo.

you can use the pistons you have, but the top ring is different, and you may have to re gap the rings to turbo specs (wider ring Gaps) if you plan an going for a bunch of power.
try and find out if you have piston coolers, some 4b have em and some don't , they install in the main webb above the main bearing and squirt oil on the underside of the pistons.
the oil cooler behind the filter housing may be just a looped tube or it could have the finned cooler, you want the finned version.
thats really about it as far as the internal difference.
the rest is just bolt ons,

·
Registered
190 Posts
ok you posted before i finished lol.

you already have a piston out, the pistons and injectors use a different spray pattern and bowl shape
on the automotive engine vs the industrial, you do not want to mix and match.
the top ring on the pitston n/a should be a square shape on the back side the turbo uses a keystone shape,
if you want to go turbo the best way is to change the piston and injectors, if you need one or the other
to get it running, right now would be a good time to make the switch. common 6bt pistons work and are easy to get.
with the injectors, depending on the pump used the bar rating can vary. but can be shimmed to work
just match the spray angle to the pistons you plan on using.

agian need to know what pump you got, mod the govenor and adjust fuel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my inj pump says stanadyne? or something of that sort. on the tag is says the running/operating speed is 1800rpm and 68 no load HP

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a very hand friend that does nothing but pulling 6bts ''THE SILVER BULLET'' and he has all kins of parts that i can get fairly cheap

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if im going to but into a truck itl be a 92-96 f150 and ill need a adapter to a sbf bellhousing anyone have this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is the standadyne pump on my engine the same rotory pump that they use on the 98-93 6bt? or is a industrial spec. pump
i really need some help on this thing, im very familiar with the 6bts and even know quite a bit on the 4bd1ts but not the n/a cummins

·
Registered
190 Posts
stanadyne, pump is a option on industrial b and bt engines incuding the 6bt. it is used on road engines other than cummins like chevy 6.2 and ford ih 6.9 ect
cummins road engines use the bosch ve an p7100 pumps

your timing cover will bolt up a sanadyne, lucas cav. or bosch ve pump.

so your options are either mod your govenor to run higher than 1800 rpm and turn up the fuel output on your stanadyne pump.
or get a an entire ve pump, injector lines and injectors and pistons off an automotive based 4bt.

sbf adaptors, are pretty common, they are in the calssified here and on ebay from time to time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well while cleaning up the cylinder on the engine i noticet that there was a crak in the cyl. about 3.5 in long so now what do i do...part it out get a new block or just buy a 4bt and then go from there???? PLEASE give me your input on this im kinda aggravaed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts