Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found a guy that is selling a 4b cummins that is out of a generator. the generator went out and the engine i was told still runs great. i am looking to do a engine swap in to my land cruiser so i will need to put on a turbo and ps pump and get the adapter for my sm420. anyway the guy is asking 1500 for the engine.. is it a good deal and worth to do all the adapting for my cruiser?

·
Registered
220 Posts
what if i could get it for 500 dollars? and what all would i have to do to make it automotive worthy?[/QUOTE

You would have to change the pump, lines, injectors, and add a turbo. That would be the basics. The pistons are different, and the compression ratio is 18 to 1 instead of 17 to 1 (4BT), and 16 to 1 (4BTA). You could get away with the 18 to 1 pistons though. You can use a Dodge 6BT manifold, and modify it -- remove the front and rear ports, and cap the ends of the manifold. You might not be able to run as much advance or boost though, because your cylinder pressures will be higher with the 18 to 1 compression ratio.
Bob B.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
what if i could get it for 500 dollars? and what all would i have to do to make it automotive worthy?[/QUOTE

You would have to change the pump, lines, injectors, and add a turbo. That would be the basics. The pistons are different, and the compression ratio is 18 to 1 instead of 17 to 1 (4BT), and 16 to 1 (4BTA). You could get away with the 18 to 1 pistons though. You can use a Dodge 6BT manifold, and modify it -- remove the front and rear ports, and cap the ends of the manifold. You might not be able to run as much advance or boost though, because your cylinder pressures will be higher with the 18 to 1 compression ratio.
Bob B.
so why do you have to change the pump lines and injectors? from what i was told is that all it has on the pump are thumb screws to hold the throttle in one spot. i did see on the tank that was bolted to the front of the engine is said cummins marine on it, dont know if that makes a diff or not

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
so why do you have to change the pump lines and injectors? from what i was told is that all it has on the pump are thumb screws to hold the throttle in one spot. i did see on the tank that was bolted to the front of the engine is said cummins marine on it, dont know if that makes a diff or not
If you change to a different pump type (IE, from CAV you're likely to have on a stationary device to a VE), you have to change injector lines. Won't reach otherwise, and you DO NOT re-bend them to match. Oh, and if you change pump types, you also have to change the timing case they mount to, as the mounts are different for the different types (at least I know they are between the VE and the P7100...).

Injectors are typically selected for a given application / power rating. The ones currently in the engine are not likely enough to be able to easily deliver the fuel needed once you strap on the turbo.

Interesting that the engine may have started life as a marine version.. But if non-turbo, everything that's been said about conversion to turbo probably still applies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok? as you can tell im new to the 4bt world pretty good with the 6bts. anyway so im looking at changing the pump lines injectors, timing cover, ps pump and a turbo.. if i can find it for a reasonable price. problem is i cant seem to find a 4bt anywere under like 3k if at all over here. so i guess is it worth if i could get this engine for 500 bucks should i to all the changing or just keep looking for a 4bt that is ready to drop in? the thing is im trying to keep this under 1500 to get a ready to drop in engine - the tranny adapter.. and do they have a tranny adapter to adapt it to a sm420?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
ok? as you can tell im new to the 4bt world pretty good with the 6bts. anyway so im looking at changing the pump lines injectors, timing cover, ps pump and a turbo.. if i can find it for a reasonable price. problem is i cant seem to find a 4bt anywere under like 3k if at all over here. so i guess is it worth if i could get this engine for 500 bucks should i to all the changing or just keep looking for a 4bt that is ready to drop in? the thing is im trying to keep this under 1500 to get a ready to drop in engine - the tranny adapter.. and do they have a tranny adapter to adapt it to a sm420?
Basically, you're going to spend more in purchasing the non-turbo and then parts to swap it to turbo than what a turbo motor would cost.

One way around it would be to get a wiped out (read: rod through side of block, head cracked, etc.) 4BT cheap and use it for a parts source to swap to turbo. But I'd not get the non-turbo until I had the blown-up turbo motor in hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically, you're going to spend more in purchasing the non-turbo and then parts to swap it to turbo than what a turbo motor would cost.

One way around it would be to get a wiped out (read: rod through side of block, head cracked, etc.) 4BT cheap and use it for a parts source to swap to turbo. But I'd not get the non-turbo until I had the blown-up turbo motor in hand.
i thought of that but trying to find a blown up one let alone one at all is near impossable over here, i dont know if they just dont have as many here as in the midwest or somting.. i work in a machine shop so its not a big deal on engine parts or machine work. the deal with the 4b motor was is the guy that owns the cummins is a customer that needs an engine for his nissan pickup and we happen to ahve a built on in the back room. so i was going to buy the nissan engine from the shop for 500 bucks and trade him the engine for the cummins. and do you know if they make an adapter to fit a chevy sm420?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Dunno..

I've not watched that area's auction results that much, and a lot of those aren't P30's. Some MT chassis mixed in..

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok well i have been doing some searching around and looked on ebay and found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUMM...017QQitemZ270208133347QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

im just trying to find the parts because i know you said to find a bt that is out of a van but i dont have the cash at the moment to buy the whole van letalone store it. the sme guy selling the pump is selling a timing cover and a bit of other stuff and was wondering if the stuff he is selling is the parts i need to convert iit?

·
Registered
477 Posts
ok well i have been doing some searching around and looked on ebay and found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUMM...017QQitemZ270208133347QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

im just trying to find the parts because i know you said to find a bt that is out of a van but i dont have the cash at the moment to buy the whole van letalone store it. the sme guy selling the pump is selling a timing cover and a bit of other stuff and was wondering if the stuff he is selling is the parts i need to convert iit?
That part is an industrial pump. It would be the same as the motor you are looking at has. In other words, wrong pump.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
all B series has the same bolt pattern from the engine adapter to the block .The adapter are different 89-93 1st gen 6b , 94-2001 2nd gen 6b.

Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts