Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted to the Yahoo groups and have got some good feedback, so I joined here as well. After reading a lot of the threads I have found out that what I had planned is mabey not the best Idea. I have a 1986 F-350 4X4 originally a 460 auto truck. The gasser is coming out and a 4BT is going in. I have allready thought of the 6BT but this truck will be for firewood and very other small jobs around the farm. I will be installing a 6BT into a F-Superduty to handle the large jobs.
Back to the firewood monster. This truck will wiegh in around 7k lbs. I was going to use the org. Borg T19 but have come to my sences I have located a 5 speed ZF from a 351 powered 250. $450.00 This trans should fill the needs I have. One of my questions that the 4BT from a Ford chassis bread van will bolt directly into these frames as long as I have the 300 frame stands, which I do have, what are your thoughts about the compatability of the ZF 5 speed, will this to be a direct bolt in. Not that I can't fab all the brackets needed its just easier to use all factory mounts and brackets.
The clutch is then the next question, I have no idea of what type the clutch release mech. is, external slave or internal slave. The stock 86 hydraulic m/c assemlbly should work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sounds like you have a great project ahead of you. Don;t know about the engine mounts though.:dustin:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We will find out if the motor mounts work or not in three to four weeks, Doctors direct orders, just had surgery for a hernia. Before surgery though I had the chance to get the truck ripped down and ready for install. I have installed a 9' dump bed onto the truck. It is a cab chassis truck and had an aluminum bed on it. A friend of mine had built the truck for the local pulling curcuit, I bought it 4 years agos and have been abusing it ever since. It is not a daily driver it only moves when loaded or when I just want to drive a cool old truck to work with the 460 though it wasn't cheap to play. I will be reworking the truck entirely so that I will not have to worry about anything in the near future. Sorry for the long repost but with 4 weeks of time on my hands I need something to occupie my time, Thanks 4BT Swaps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts