Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I be really unsatisfied if I get a non turbo instead of a 4BT? I know of a 4B, but if it is going to suck, then I'm going to wait until I find a 4BT. What is the power rating on a 4B? Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thats kind of what I was thinking. Adding a turbo probably be a deal killer after buying the motor.
Depends...people who upgrade to the larger turbos from the 5.9 would have their stock 3.9 turbo laying around collecting dust, like me. Should be cheap to buy.

You would need an exhaust manifold.
You could:
1) Find a 4BT ex man
2) cut off #1 and #6 from a 6BT ex man
3) weld up one of mooktanks's headers

...then you just need to run oil lines and boost to intake manifold, and exhaust (duh).

I don't think it would be that hard and could be done under $300 for everything if you shop around ;)

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
If your going to turbo a 4B you had better check to see that the engine has the piston cooling jets that spray oil on the under side of the piston for cooling. With out these you going to be replaceing the pistons often. Any factory turboed Cummins will have these.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Uh.. There's another "gotcha" when adding a turbo.. Namely, the non-turbo pump does NOT have the capability to add fuel as boost is built..

So a pump swap (and lines, probably) would be in order.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Okay great, I am definately going to pass on this 4B.
Thanks everyone.
What are they asking for it? It might still be worth it, depending...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Uh.. There's another "gotcha" when adding a turbo.. Namely, the non-turbo pump does NOT have the capability to add fuel as boost is built..

So a pump swap (and lines, probably) would be in order.
There are thousands of turboed 6.9/7.3 IDIs running around with IPs that don't reference boost for timing or fuel rate changes. With these, the operator's right foot controls the addition of extra fuel after the pump is "turned up". Can the pump on a 4B not have this mod performed?

Ken

·
Registered
854 Posts
Can the pump on a 4B not have this mod performed?
Depends....a lot of 4b's were stationary use, and most of those used CAV pumps. Not sure how adjustable those are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts