Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. i have a 1997 3.9 4b non turbo in a sullair 185 compressor. it has a lucas model 00700 injector pump. i also have a banks sidewinder turbo kit from my indirect 7.3 international that iwould like to boost the 4b with. my question is, can i turbo this engine with the usual mods such as turning up the pump,bigger injectors etc. i have heard that the non turbo motors do not have oil jet nozzles for piston cooling. i also have a factory intercooler from a 08 powerstroke f350. what kind of power can i get from this motor up from the 75 hp. it is now?

·
Registered
11,854 Posts
Not sure about the no oil nozzles because Cummins uses those to squirt oil on the bottom of the pistons to lube the pins. Without them the rods would lock up. There's not other way for oil to get up there. If I'm not mistaken the 4b engines have higher compression pistons. Although you could use a turbo with them it wouldn't be as effective. Lower compression mean you got more room for air and fuel, thus more power. If this pump was on a air compressor unit it would not be right for road use. Wrong governor system. Not sure if anybody had hotrodded a Lucas pump. Most guys have the Bosch VE pump or a few lucky ones the Bosch P pump. Not sure what turbo was in that sidewinder kit. Got to remember it was designed to work with an engine that was almost twice as large. Might be very slow to spool up with a 4bt or may not spool up at all. Need to look at its specs. The intercooler should be fine. Just make sure the plastic end tanks aren't cracked. Something else to check is what size injectors you have. They could be 9mm or 7mm. One reason to check is that heads with 9mm injectors seem to have more porblems with cracking. If the head is ok they make sleeves so you can use 7mm injectors in them. Lot more options with the 7mm units. Like I said I don't know about the performance potential of the Lucas pump. VE pump engines can get up to 200hp or more and P pumped engines well the sky's the limit. Usually the limit it your pocketbook.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Not sure about the no oil nozzles because Cummins uses those to squirt oil on the bottom of the pistons to lube the pins. Without them the rods would lock up. There's not other way for oil to get up there.
Not even close. They are piston cooling nozzles, and have absolutely nothing to do with oiling the rods. The oil gets to the rods in the same way it does in just about every engine I know of. It gets slung by the crankshaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts