Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some research these days pertaining to building an expedition Isuzu to drive to Cape Horn and back. The list below is simple but my vehicular goals are:

- All Isuzu vehicle. 2nd gen. Trooper for sure.
- Diesel, preferably mechanical direct injection
- 5 spd/manual
- Left hand drive.

The goal here is to have a left hand drive, diesel Trooper that is very reliable and that will get good fuel mileage when loaded down with expedition gear. So I'm looking at fitting an Isuzu 4BD-1T into a 2nd gen Trooper.

There's lot of info on the engine itself, and some info on swaps into LandCruisers, but none into troopers.

What are the issues with mating a MUA5 transmission to the 4BD engine? Talking flywheel and bellhousing bolt pattern, starter location, etc.

Any speculations on clearance issues regarding the starter, exhaust, front driveshaft, fan into rad, oil pan into front axle, etc?

Any info is appreciated.

It's really easy for me to just buy a RHD Isuzu Bighorn and keep the 3.1L engine, but its fuel economy is worse, has less power, and is less reliable. Or am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Have you ever thought about using the NV4500 tranny. They are already adapted to fit the 4bd and they are strong enough to handle the diesel engine.

Http://www.4bdconversions.com

Let me know if I can help or if you have any questions about adapting the 4bd.

Thanks, Dieseltim
770-712-8644

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It's really easy for me to just buy a RHD Isuzu Bighorn and keep the 3.1L engine, but its fuel economy is worse, has less power, and is less reliable. Or am I wrong?
less power? yes

less fuel economy? not exactly sure

less reliable? i wouldn't say it

i have seen few isuzu troopers with the 3.1L either in turbo or non-turbo versions and they're pretty reliable... btw i have already seen some troopers retrofitted with 4.0L perkins engines that are phisically larger than a 4bd1-t, so it seems like not too much firewall mods to fit a 4bd1-t... its engine bay is already not so small...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking to keep the MUA5 transmission, as it is a goal to keep the vehicle all Isuzu. Kind of like a challenge.

I just found out that the 4bdt weighs 300lbs more than the 4JG2. This might be a problem as I don't think I'll be able to get torsion bars to handle the increase in engine weight while accommodating an ARB bumper and winch.

·
Super Moderator
8,778 Posts
Fitting the engine is only 1/3rd of the battle. The rest is fitting a driveline strong enough to cope with it.
I'd suggest fitting a 2.8 4JB1T with manual. They fit right in.

The 3.1's still get respectable fuel economy.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I'm looking to keep the MUA5 transmission, as it is a goal to keep the vehicle all Isuzu. Kind of like a challenge.

I just found out that the 4bdt weighs 300lbs more than the 4JG2. This might be a problem as I don't think I'll be able to get torsion bars to handle the increase in engine weight while accommodating an ARB bumper and winch.
if you're worried about the weight and the stock torsion bars setup, take the 4jg2t... you said you can get a rhd one already fitted with a diesel - it's already cool, but depending on where you're intending to drive it's still preferrable to get a lhd one... also you can already retrofit the rhd to lhd, it had been done a lot of times in some markets that allow import of used jdm vehicles but demand them to be converted into lhd to be allowed into the traffic, such as chile, paraguay, bolivia and the philippines...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts