Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread. I have a line on a 4bd with 5sp. I do not have a truck yet so I don't know what I want. I will have to be able to carry 6 people. I want a crew but the weight compaired to a f150 ext. cab. I'm looking to get 30mpg on the highway empty. Do you think I can get that with a 4x4 with the right gears. I don't have to have a 4x4 but it would be nice. I also do not know how hard it will be to get a transfer case to hook up to the Isuzu trans. thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Isuzu in a Ford

I had a non turbo 4bd1 in a E350 van;at around 80 hp it wasn't very fast, but I always got at least 30 mpg even without an overdrive.I am currently putting a 4bd1T into another 1 ton van(this one with AWD) that will be backed by a 700r4 auto and an adapter from isuzudieselswappers.com.A more common swap for the Ford pickup seems to be a 6bd1, both turbo and non-turbo.They are huge, but would allow for a larger towing capacity.I have a couple that I am saving for either a bigger truck or a motorhome. I think you will find that the 5 speed will not be the right choice for your swap, as it is direct 5 and not o.d and the cable/rod shifter arrangement is a hassle.God luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am planning to put a 4bd with a 5spd in my F150. If you get a 4x4 you could use a divourced mount transfer case to keep it simple, also the isuzu 5spds came with either direct 5th or .73 o.d. so make sure you have the right one if mpg is important.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
... also the isuzu 5spds came with either direct 5th or .73 o.d. so make sure you have the right one if mpg is important.
Have you actually seen an Isuzu 4BD1 5spd with o.d. in the US? What year/model came with these?

I would love to find a 5spd with o.d. but have only found the direct trannies.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I was once in contact with a guy in Washington.He had done "100's" of conversions in the late 70's and early 80's.He had several o.d 5 speeds that had come straight from Japan.He also had some of the o.d 6 speeds from the larger trucks.I have never seen a NPR with a 5 spd o.d here.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
5spd OD. w/ 4x4

I have the kits now for the NV4500 to go behind the 4bd engines, you can have the 4x4 or 4x2 if you like and have OD to boot. Checkout my threads about putting the 4bd/ NV4500 into my CJ7 jeep.

Dieseltim:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts