Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a 4bt to put in this 00 excursion 4x4 in place of a blown v10. I ended up with a 92 NPR in trade from a customer that need rebuilt. I talked to my turbo/pump guy and he feels confident we can get fuel/air to move the excursion around as good as the v10 did or better (rarely ever tows have plenty of other trucks to tow with if need be).

Now my question comes in on adapters. I currently have available modular pattern 5r110 tran, diesel pattern 4r100. Or I could build an early model gas e4od. Who do I need to contact about a adapter plate? Allmaras machine? Anybody else, We are a full service diesel repair, performance, fab shop so I am willing to work with someone to do some testing. I just don't really want to start from scratch and reinvent the wheel if I don't have to

Thanks Travis

·
Registered
6 Posts
That 4bd2t is slow in an fj40 land cruiser.

Im not sure you'd be happy with the performance in a 7000 plus lbs excursion. Even my 7.3 excursion is slow. That v10 was a beast of a motor and the 7.3 needed a good bit of tweaking to keep up with the v10, even then the v10 would walk away on highway speed inclines. The 4bd engines have a very narrow torque band and i never liked reving over 2200. Even with 35 inch tires and 3.73 gears im at 3000 rpms running 75mph in my excursion. With a gear vendor overdrive you'll have the ability to drop the rpm more.

Sorry i cannot help you with adapters, i used oem stuff to mount mine to an old ford top loader transmission. On another swap i used a guy who sold his stuff to allmaras and that was a small block chevy adapter.

I would drop in a 6bt if it were me and sell the 4bd to a half ton guy. You will get better mpgs with the 12v and she will have plenty of torque to move that 3/4 ton(nearly 1 ton) beast of an SUV around.

I really like the 4bd engines, I've used them in two different swaps. Had the BHW vw diesels engines had the stand alone computer/harness support they do now back then id have used them instead of the 4bd in both land cruiser swaps. Half the weight, better parts support for service items and more power.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Excursion is pretty good size, but you could Do it. Maybe compounds and huge inter cooler with a maxed out pump would be good. Probably still not close to the V10. No reason at all that a 4bd should have trouble moving an FJ40 at lovely speeds.

Only adapters I’m aware of at this time at NV4500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The issue with the fj40 is swb and lack of gears. The stock 4bd likes to stay between about 1700 and 2100, with a 4 speed o.d. you didn't have great selection. Like the stock npr truck it came out of she was great from idle to 55 mph.

I went from 1f to v8 to 4bd. The v8 was the most street friendly. The 4bd off road idled over everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turning up the fuel screw on the 4bd1t there as a noticeable gain in power. It was in an fj60. I still didn't make friends on hwy on ramps

The 4bd2t didnt respond much to the fuel screw. That was in the 40

Stock turbo on both.

They did the job. The VW 2.0 BHW makes 170 hp, 300 ft lbs of torque at 450 lbs with just a tune. She pulls like a freight train from 1900 to 2200 rpms. Will cruise at 3000 rpms all day. The BHW wont eat your nv3500/ax15/etc small 5 speed for lunch either. The BHW would have been a better swap in either vehicle.

The vw doesn't have the cool tractor sound.

I still want to do a swap with a Mercedes 606.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You should have tried other turbos before you wrote off the 4bd’s. You were missing out on at least 50% of the fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didn't write them off, i just consider the bhw a better motor for sub 1/2 ton swaps. They dont need heavier springs, weighs less than the Toyota 1/2F (but so does a 350) should weigh less than a jeep 4.0.

After buying a passat, converting it to a 5 speed and doing the stage 2 tune my only gripe is i have not tossed this in a little 4x4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts