Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I kind of want to get a thread going and just have a list of info.

1- What vehicle, daily driving curb weight.
2- What turbo and fuel changes you’ve done.
3- 4BD1t or 4BD2t, and wether you feel it’s adequate for the vehicles weight.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Not really an Isuzu person but might give you some insight. The 2 engines you mentioned were installed in delivery vans rated around 10,000-12,000 lbs. Base engines were around 130 HP. Without some major mods they are probably more suited to a small to midsized vehicle. Might use one in a 3/4-1 ton truck but the performance will be a little lackluster if you're towing or hauling a heavy load. Probably 1/2 ton pickup, suv, or vehicles in the 5000 lb range or a bit higher is probably their best application. One drawback on those engines can be the oil pan. The oil pump is actually in the pan so it can't be moved. Hard to fit it to some applications. Also, there are fewer performance mods out there for these. You can modify a Cummins 4bt until you run out of money, There is just so much out there for them. Transmission adapters for the Isuzu are limited. Injection pump mods are also somewhat limited. I believe those used the Bosch A pump as did some Cummins industrial units. Mods for that pump are not all that common but some do exist. A better turbo can definitely help that engine. I know we've seen HX30W and HE221W Holsets adapted as well as some others. Might read some of the swaps in this section to get some clues.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I’ve got adapters and a couple engines and a couple LC’s. I’m looking for what the weights on peoples swaps are, once completed. And with no major mods these can nearly double in power and torque.

·
Registered
25 Posts
weight and torque is similar to an AMERICAN Motors Corp V8 360/401 pre-emissions years. The cooling system is the biggest issue for weight added. I have a daily driver NPR with a Chevy Bow tie ‘94 W4 that was extended and made into a back alley ramp truck by the City of Seattle.
I bought it to haul away the junk vehicles and garbage dumped in my yard by druggies while I was in the hospital and to be on an even size should they try to push me off the road again. (They destroyed my Comanche that I was going to put the smaller Isuzu or Peugeot diesel into)
I have a Jeep J20 ish truck I want to put the spare motor from my ‘93 NPR boxtruck into with an AW6 or AW4 transmission into but I have a rebuilt Jatco automatic transmission now which has no 4x4 version available and they don’t thrill me like the nearly indestructible Aisan Warner’s I’ve had. It’s biggest drawback is it wants another overdrive gear as the current two aren’t tall enough with the stock NPR rear axle ratio. 70mph is pushing it but that’s top speed downhill with a tailwind to get past 65 due to the running out of air.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Yeah I’ve got adapters and a couple engines and a couple LC’s. I’m looking for what the weights on peoples swaps are, once completed. And with no major mods these can nearly double in power and torque.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
8,979 Posts
First generation range rover. About 2.2T empty.
4BD1T with a T25 0.49 A/R and about 22psi boost.
No problem at all with the vheicles weight. Doesn't care about being loaded down. Towed over 3T with it. Towing that much is always a handful.

·
Registered
149 Posts
1951 Dodge M37, about 6000 lbs curb weight, 4.56:1 axle gearing
4BD1T intercooled, HE221W with the fuel screw out about 1 turn
Peppy around town. Slows on steep grades at the high elevation here. Also runs very cool. I'm still working things out right now though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@helix -What tranny are you running? Very similar to my uncles setup. He’s got Dana 60’s, 4.56, 700r4 and Holset Super 30. I’ve been very unimpressed. But I think that’s mostly the 700r4.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should mention, one if my main reasons for this question is I’m still trying to decide if I want to sell my 80’s and get a 100 series ‘Cruiser. The FZJ80 is 4,800lbs, and the UZJ100 is 5,100lbs. Both of these would go up a couple hundred lbs easily once kitted out. Not sure if it would make a difference or not!

·
Super Moderator
8,979 Posts
I should mention, one if my main reasons for this question is I’m still trying to decide if I want to sell my 80’s and get a 100 series ‘Cruiser. The FZJ80 is 4,800lbs, and the UZJ100 is 5,100lbs. Both of these would go up a couple hundred lbs easily once kitted out. Not sure if it would make a difference or not!
It's going to be massively easier to swap and get everything working in the 80 series.

A mate of mine has a factory 1HD-FT 80 series. He's got less power and torque than I've got and gets on fine. He's carrying a few hundred kg of bumpers, rock sliders, drawers etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Spicer 3053A transmission. The ratios in the 700R4 seem like they’d be pretty comparable to what I have minus the first gear in my transmission. I could probably go out another two or three turns on my fuel screw before running into high EGTs and that might make a lot of difference. I’m not really chasing face melting performance though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts