Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have finished using the puller. Who is next?
Ive bought a crows foot that fits around the nut and added it to the tool set along with a c-clamp to pinch the crows foot since so much torque used to turn the nut. It is tough to pull those sleeves....be sure your shoulders are ready and do what you can to get a good angle on it....get leverage as usual. Also, I had to grind the circle puller so that it would fit between the main beating journals (the circle puller is not a separate piece, but is attached to 6" of all thread)

For installing the sleeves, I would recommend not using the puller/pusher if at all possible, as with the circle puller not a circle anymore, the sleeves ever so slightly wont press with the same force all the way around, which can cause multiple thousandths of a difference in height, which is more than the tolerance. Dry ice the sleeves for at least an hour (made this mistake on the first one) and then use a torch to heat the block and especially the inside of the cylinder. When you pull the sleeve out of the cooler before putting it into the cylinder, be sure to brush off all of the ice crystals (they can prevent you from pushing it in all the way...again 4 thousands is the max tolerance). Then use a thick wood block (6x6x6) and a big ass hammer. Keep checking the wood to see that it hasnt split and hammer away. Having someone or two people help is good. With the wood, you can get the sleeves as far down as they need to go.

Let me know who wants it next.
Dazed

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
To more effectively and consistently cool the liners, immerse them in a dry ice/acetone slurry. You will need a container with enough acetone to completely submerge the liner. Add enough dry ice to the acetone so there always is some solid dry ice present. Submerge the liner in the slurry. This method will cool the liner to a uniform -78*C. Once finished, save the acetone as it is not modified by this type of use (assuming that you didn't contaminate it with a dirty container or dirty liners).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes I am! I found a whole engine for $300 that had a dead cylinder and the waste gated turbo, so I decided to build a new engine. My current engine is fine, but with wanting to try the new turbo and not knowing the history of my engine, decided a fresh one will be nice.

This engine has a brand new head on it with good valves, I found a set of factory Isuzu liners/pistons and just ordered my other parts Friday. I have the new motor partially disassembled and will get it all prepped while I wait for the liner tool.

Doug

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll get in line for the puller too. Going to get the engine out of storage this weekend and tear it down. Let me know when I'm up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey Guys, I have the puller now and have my sleeves out. I already have the new ones and am waiting for the machine shop to finish with a hot tanking.

So I should be done with it next week.

Doug, I think you were next in line, so if you want to PM me your address, I will be able to ship it out when I am done.

Jim

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've got the puller right now and have my liners out. I'll be working on getting the new ones in this week. Also wanted to say thanks Dustin!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I am now done with this tool and its ready for the next user. I am looking at re-boxing and re packaging this kit since the box is getting mighty beat up. This tool is very slick and despite the issues with the manufacturer with some things this donated tool is fantastic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would like to use it if nobody else is in line, I already have the liners.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey guys,not to dis that puller it looks like great work ! but totally not needed, i can have all 4 liners out before you can install the tool, fire up your welder and drag your stic up from the bottom to top at 45degree angles your not welding as you drag it just watch the liner turn blue ahead of your stick then reach in with your welding glove and lift it out, lightly ball hone block and freeze your liners and install very quickly last 2" lay 2x4 across top of liner and push, done....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pm sent!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts