8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Parts list for the 466409 turbo here:
This is the 4BD1T/4BD2T wastegated turbo:
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/garrett_parts_list/466409-0002.php

Parts list for the 700716 turbo here:
This is the 4HE1 wastegated turbo:
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/garrett_parts_list/700716-0005.php

They share an exhaust turbine in common but the 4HE1 turbo has a larger compressor wheel. There is a possibility the 4HE1 turbo cartridge will fit into the 4BD1T/4BD2T exhaust housing and be a plug and play upgrade. I'll see if Astr can give us some measurements.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Parts list for the 466409 turbo here:
This is the 4BD1T/4BD2T wastegated turbo:
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/garrett_parts_list/466409-0002.php

Parts list for the 700716 turbo here:
This is the 4HE1 wastegated turbo:
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/garrett_parts_list/700716-0005.php

They share an exhaust turbine in common but the 4HE1 turbo has a larger compressor wheel. There is a possibility the 4HE1 turbo cartridge will fit into the 4BD1T/4BD2T exhaust housing and be a plug and play upgrade. I'll see if Astr can give us some measurements.
when you say "plug and play" are you thinking that you can just replace the cartridge into the original housing of the 4bd2t turbo and it might fit or would we have to mate the 2 halves together?

·
3,907 Posts
Vette60, it sounds more like the former (bolt together) but he does qualify it with "possibility" so I take it he hasn't tried it himself, or found anyone claiming to have.

It is an interesting proposition though as rapid enough spool and more total boost is all I really needed at first.

My specific application is a bit different than most (still in the NPR, so plenty of aero load at freeway speeds and trying to climb hills @14,500 Lb ish up to roughly 7000 ft of altitude) so twins are in my future (if only for altitude compensation).

My only concern with the larger turbo (CHRA and compressor) is the attachment to the turbine housing (if it's different at that point between the two, according to the parts list Dougal provided they shuldn't be) and if the compressor housing will clear the exhaust manifold, not that a spacer is that hard to make.

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
when you say "plug and play" are you thinking that you can just replace the cartridge into the original housing of the 4bd2t turbo and it might fit or would we have to mate the 2 halves together?
Yes. Undo the four bolts clamping the turbine housing to the centre cartridge, wiggle it out, slot the next one in and do up the bolts. ASTR has both of these turbos in his parts pile, hopefully he can confirm or deny for us one of these days.

Even if you want to go for twins, the stock turbo modified should make a good high pressure turbo in a compound set.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Yes. Undo the four bolts clamping the turbine housing to the centre cartridge, wiggle it out, slot the next one in and do up the bolts. ASTR has both of these turbos in his parts pile, hopefully he can confirm or deny for us one of these days.
To make sure that I understand correctly - you want me to take the compressor section, the turbine wheel and the center bearing section from the 4HE1 turbo and mate that to the turbine housing from a wastegated 4BD1T?

·
3,907 Posts
To make sure that I understand correctly - you want me to take the compressor section, the turbine wheel and the center bearing section from the 4HE1 turbo and mate that to the turbine housing from a wastegated 4BD1T?
I believe he (and he rest of us too :) ) would like to know if the turbine housing off the 4BD1T will bolt onto the 4HE1 turbo, or does it require machine work?

Not worth a re-do on mine at this point as I already have Holsets, and no other Garretts, but if you have both, and the time, at least this inquiring mind would love to know (if nothing else it gives an alternative to sometimes hard to source HX30/ HE221).

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes, that's exactly it.
The centre-section is held into the turbine housing with four bolts and fish-plates. Undo the bolts and sometimes the centre section will just pull out, worst case some heat on the rim will expand it enough to let-go.
I know the turbines are the same, it's the diameter of the index on the hot end of the 4HE1 core that I'm not sure about.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
The loose 4BD1 turbo that I have is non-wastegate. Will that do? I do have a 4BD1 wastegated turbo but it is mounted on a engine so it will take me some time to pull it.

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The loose 4BD1 turbo that I have is non-wastegate. Will that do? I do have a 4BD1 wastegated turbo but it is mounted on a engine so it will take me some time to pull it.
Non-wastegated have a different turbine, so that won't work. It'll have to be the wastegated one when you are ready. Don't suppose your wastegated one is on a drivable engine?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Non-wastegated have a different turbine, so that won't work. It'll have to be the wastegated one when you are ready. Don't suppose your wastegated one is on a drivable engine?
No, the engine is on a stand

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I dug out the 4BD1T with the wastegated turbo. It is not a Garrett. It is an IHI so it doesn't look like I can do the actual swap. Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I dug out the 4BD1T with the wastegated turbo. It is not a Garrett. It is an IHI so it doesn't look like I can do the actual swap. Photos attached.
That's the same IHI RHB6 that I have. Shame it's not a garrett, but good to have the photos. Can you throw up some photos of the 4HE1 garrett turbo? Mostly interested in the flange to exhaust manifold and if it has a cast-in wastegate mount on the compressor housing.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
That's the same IHI RHB6 that I have. Shame it's not a garrett, but good to have the photos. Can you throw up some photos of the 4HE1 garrett turbo? Mostly interested in the flange to exhaust manifold and if it has a cast-in wastegate mount on the compressor housing.
Here you go - 1st photo is the 4HE1 turbo, the 2nd photo show it and a Garrett 4BD1/2 turbo.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Excellent, thanks. Any chance you could trace out the pattern of that exhaust flange on the 4HE1 and scan/email it to me? Just wondering how hard it'll be to adapt the whole turbo to the T3 manifold.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Excellent, thanks. Any chance you could trace out the pattern of that exhaust flange on the 4HE1 and scan/email it to me? Just wondering how hard it'll be to adapt the whole turbo to the T3 manifold.
Just happen to have a trace already made. This is a reduced resolution trace as required by the forum. If you want the original scan resolution (600 x 600 dpi), let me know and I'll email it directly to you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Excellent work. I think that'll be enough as solidworks crunches the resolution right down on imported sketches anyway. I'll try to crank out an adapter pattern next week, tomorrow I'm knocking off early to sort out my ski gear.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm looking at a number of upgrade options for my 4BD1T's weak, stock, non-wastegated turbo. My Suburban gets around OK and gets 25mpg highway, but I think I can do better.

Does anybody have specs (compressor and turbine wheel sizes, A/Rs, etc...) and/or maps for these 4HE1 turbos ? I gather from some websurfing and Dougal's posts that this is a Garrett GT2560, p/n 700716, and I've found quite a few on eBay and elsewhere that seem to be good deals. They sounds like they could be a good upgrade for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm looking at a number of upgrade options for my 4BD1T's weak, stock, non-wastegated turbo. My Suburban gets around OK and gets 25mpg highway, but I think I can do better.

Does anybody have specs (compressor and turbine wheel sizes, A/Rs, etc...) and/or maps for these 4HE1 turbos ? I gather from some websurfing and Dougal's posts that this is a Garrett GT2560, p/n 700716, and I've found quite a few on eBay and elsewhere that seem to be good deals. They sounds like they could be a good upgrade for me.
Turbine on the 4HE1 is the same as the wastegated 4BD1/4BD2 turbo, the compressor is bigger at 60mm OD and the A/R listed on turbomaster is is 0.60. The T3 flanged 4BD1/4BD2 housing is 0.67 A/R so you'll get earlier spool adapting the 4HE1 to fit.
A T28 60mm 60trim wheel map will be very close if not the same. I am running this compressor wheel on my own Isuzu. Boost peaking at 24psi but not intercooled.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So, Dougal, you are recommending a 4HE1 with a 4BD wastegated housing?

If you are right about the map, wouldn't this be what you'd expect?

That must put you right near the top edge of this map.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts