Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok folks I need to get to the core of this issue. As I may have said I have a 4bd1t in a 99 suburban. It has colt cam, head studs, 30% over injectors and hx 30 turbo. Fresh rebuilt pump and injectors. Problem.... Somtimes it will blow white smoke on a take off and once you stop and go again it will change to black. My 1500 Chevy I had it in did the same thing. I have been all thru this motor. Power isn’t different when either black or white.. Oregon fuel injection rebuilt the pump.. They tried to tell me that’s the nature of those pumps.. I deleted the fuel pump on the side of the injection pump and put a plate over it. I also got rid of the factory fuel filter and went with an air dog fuel pump. Fuel pressure is set around 15 psi. That really cleans up the engine bay... Any input would be appreciated... I think it’s timing . Can those timing advancement things on the front of the pump go bad?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Are you in Oregon? I'd like to see the build. Post pics, that always gets people at least looking at your build.

I can't help much, but I like seeing problems and how they're solved. All I know is white smoke is excess unburnt fuel, black is excess burnt fuel.
Waaay back I drove a 40' boom/crane flatbed with a plugged air filter and I purposely floored it on the freeway back to the shop and it blew a white cloud that fogged all lanes for a quarter mile.
Stuff a 22yr old does.

Are you sure you have clean filters?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just an update folks! I believe I fixed my issue. I deleted my injection pump relief valve and ran 2 feed lines to the pump from my airdog fuel system. I set the fuel pressure at 17 psi. No more white smoke at this point...As far as my build goes I am pretty happy. I really like my colt cam. It seems to have more low end grunt from a take off when I let out the clutch. Injection pump maxed out, Oringed and studded head, 30% over injectors, colt cam,mishimoto universal inter cooler, hx 30 turbo. It pushes the suburban rite along.I have an hx35 turbo I want to try... I think the hx30 I hit a wall to soon like the turbine side is to tight....

·
Super Moderator
8,933 Posts
Just an update folks! I believe I fixed my issue. I deleted my injection pump relief valve and ran 2 feed lines to the pump from my airdog fuel system. I set the fuel pressure at 17 psi. No more white smoke at this point...As far as my build goes I am pretty happy. I really like my colt cam. It seems to have more low end grunt from a take off when I let out the clutch. Injection pump maxed out, Oringed and studded head, 30% over injectors, colt cam,mishimoto universal inter cooler, hx 30 turbo. It pushes the suburban rite along.I have an hx35 turbo I want to try... I think the hx30 I hit a wall to soon like the turbine side is to tight....
HX35 is far too big to be a single turbo. What numbers have you got for boost and EGT?

·
Super Moderator
8,933 Posts
You'll make big improvements in turbo spool and performance by moving the intake to a cooler spot.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts