Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fantastic! I've already got most of the Isuzu manuals, but I didn't have the 6VD1 manual. Thanks a lot. I've never had a bit of trouble with that engine, but with 217k+ miles and no major repairs you never know.

Thanks again.

There is now a factory service manual available for the 4BD1T on MattF's site: http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/viewdownloads.php?dcid=5
92trooperls

1992 Isuzu Trooper LS
Stock & will probably stay that way because I will never be able to afford a 4BD swap...
217k + miles (and climbing) with no major repairs

·
Registered
2 Posts
4bd1T Cyl Letters...help!

Dear friends,

im rebuilding a 4BD1T motor and i need some help with cylinder letters.
The letters in my block are "A,C,B,A. The first piston was scratched
from oil loss. (the liner was OK after hone and polish).
I have a few "B" heads from an old motor. I used a micrometer to check each one after washing and cannot find the difference. They seem to be exactly the same.
Can anyone tell me what the letters mean? I tried sliding the "B" head into the first position and it seems to be OK.
Can anyone tell me what would happen if i used a "B" head in the first position? The rod arm and pin are the original.

please write to [email protected]

asap please.

·
Super Moderator
8,673 Posts
Sorry I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

The liners on the Isuzu 4BD1T are replacable "Chromard" type. If damaged you push them out and press in a new one.
What do you mean by the "heads"? The cylinder head is one piece steel, is it the pistons you're referring to?

Pictures would help a lot.

*edit*
What you could be referring to is the fit of the cyilnder liner and piston. I believe several different fits are available depending on what side of the tolerance each cylinder got bored to. In which case yes the pistons are interchangable, but checking you have adequate liner/piston clearance first.
BTW the only rings worth using in a rebuild are Isuzu's own. Don't bother with aftermarket equivalents.
*/edit*

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry

Im sorry, I ment the piston heads.
i have learned that it is not so big of an issue.
The meaning of the letter stamped on the piston heads were for reference at the factory. I heard they are put together as sets in the factory, and the letters on the pistons are for reference only. There is not 4-5 sizes of pistons.

i thought that a "A" piston had to go with a liner marked "A" also.
I was wondering why i could find no difference between a "b" piston and a "a". piston.

your comments on this would be appricated.
thanks Leo

i will use the same rings as they are less than a year old. I agree..on a 4BD1T, rings and gasket set must be original.
My only other addition was rod bearings..by cleveite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the link! Hopefully the manual for the 4bd2t will be close enough to the similar age, same block 4be1 (3.6l) to tell me what I need to know....unless anyone knows where a 4be1 manual can be obtained (not paying megabucks for one from Isuzu!)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Link seems dead above. Anyone got a lead on a service manual for a 4bd1t /2t???
Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Actually just got it. I pad wouldn't download it. Thanks for the service manual! Still would like to buy one for the 4bd2t and 4d34 1at mitso engine if anyone has a lead on them. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts