Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

221 - 227 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have also somehow missed this thread, just read all the way thru it. I recently picked up an 89 Grand wagoneer with a 6bt, not the same exact animal but pretty close. I am currently building a fuel tank that is very similar to yours. Getting rid of the coffin tank and make room for a trans swap. PO kept the np229 and bolted up a cummins first gen tf727 3speed. Still on stock narrow dana44s with 3.31s and 31x10.5x15 with original wheels. It gets lots of attention.

Great build, I had a 77 Cherokee about 15 years ago and didn’t relieze how much I missed it

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
Still on stock narrow dana44s with 3.31s and 31x10.5x15 with original wheels. It gets lots of attention.
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure I've checked out your build before somewhere. Not too many FSJ diesels out there. I've searched over and over for info.
I think keeping that whole drivetrain together is smart. So many unforeseen problems with mating lions and tigers. What's the final output ratio of that 727? I have the same tire size and the 4L80E is 0.75.
The Rodeo rear axle I got has 4.30 rear and I think it's just right for me. At 60 MPH I'm at 2150 RPM locked out and running pretty sweet.

Finally got half of my exhaust built. WOW, it is so much quieter and nice! I've been driving 600 miles with about 24" of downpipe off the turbo and it was loud to say the least.
Pay no attention to that weld wire exhaust hanger. My wife was yelling at me and I didn't have time to fabricate a proper hanger.

Some of the parts I bought to build the exhaust. Other stuff is a handful of 45s, a couple 90s, and 10' of 2.5" x .065 304 Stainless sanitary tube.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jogger, I recently purchased this wagoneer as it sits. If anyone knows of a build thread from the PO that would be awesome.

The 727 is 1:1, no OD, the 31” tires and 3.31 gear make it similar to first gen cummins auto trucks. That is going to change soon though. Going to swap a set of 08 SD axles with 3.73s and a 47rh/241. Need to finish my fuel tank before I can even start that project.

I will also be redoing the exhaust also, currently 4” straight pipe.

I love the build, I am wanting to use it as a tow rig for my sons crawler and will ad a roof top tent, may Do some light wheeling but nothing serious.

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/jeep/409439-1989-jeep-grand-wagoneer-cummins-6bt-diesel-conversion.html
Here is a sales ad from the person that built mine, not who I bought it from

Ken

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Went camping this weekend in the Jeep and climbed some good hills. Highest temps I've seen yet. 182F water, 885F egt. Still well within reason. My t-stat seems to open at 163F.

Rolled the scale on the way back from the woods. ~200lbs gear/tools. 3/4 tank fuel.
2650 front
2400 rear
5050 both

Did a 0-60 mph test leaving the scale. 17.95 seconds. That's on the stock 125hp fuel setting with the stopwatch on my phone. Once I finish tuning the transmission, and a few other tasks, I'll inch up the fuel and report back.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #226 (Edited)
Finished the exhaust this weekend. Slow moving forward. Only a couple hours available each week.
2 weeks ago built the exhaust from the muffler back and ran it with weld wire holding everything up. Turns out it's makes a racket inside the jeep at idle.
Picture doesn't show little isolators and hangers I built, but I thought it was a good view of everything under the Jeep.
Don't worry, I didn't work on it like this. I just lifted it up high for the picture.
I need to polish all the color off the welds. I'll do that when I cure all my oil leaks. Right now it would be for naught.

Thought I'd add a fun picture. I don't have a car lift, but I do have forklifts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Once it started getting cold, I parked the Jeep. I took it home a couple weeks ago and realized that I could get over no defrost by using rags.
There's a 5x8" hole in the firewall where the heater core goes and driving around in 38-41*F weather was more than uncomfortable. The wife and daughter wouldn't have anything to do with it.

So this is not the final version, but I now have heat!

221 - 227 of 227 Posts