Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

161 - 180 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I ordered this one from http://www.championradiators.com/product/EC571

$170, fits perfect. It's got the in/out in the right orientation for the Isuzu and a built in tranny cooler. They have ones rated for 500, 750, and 1000 HP the same size (more money). I think this one will be plenty cooling, but if I need more I'll just swap in one rated for more HP.

I'll get a picture for you. Right now it's been pulled out a couple times for mocking up, but I don't want to damage it, so it's sitting safely in its box.

-Kevin

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Your intake piping looks really good, but don't forget that these engines vibrate a lot and shake pretty violently on shutdown. Make sure you have enough flexible sections in it to take up the engine movement
Excellent advice. Luckily I did experience this motor running strapped down and I saw the amazing twerking it did on shut-down. I've been thinking about it with everything that attaches to the motor. I was thinking about it even when I built the motor mounts.
Good reminder.

-Kevin

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Spent way too much time building this PS reservoir. I did't like the cheapo ebay one I got. I don't think it was big enough and the ports were not facing the right ways.

I was going to cut threads and make by own cap/bung, but I found some large nuts and all-thread so cannibalized them into my project.

Turned the hex off the other half of the nut and used it for the bung.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Thanks for the link to the radiator! Man that PS reservoir is gorgeous. Make me one? ;)
Thanks. Yes, I'll make you one. $600. ;) I should have just bought a stainless water bottle and put some barbed fittings on it. Would have saved me 4 hours.

Here's a pic of the radiator. I'm trying to figure out how to mount it.

Uvjthx0ZHe_FaCL8RAOM3FnRjHooigIe12RHp5siUqGgzcU46CQxQlKlcvVCrwd6rJ0FvB8ehV-hK_FocO4EWig_4BSlvPlE.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Haha nice, total bargain! That's a good point about the bottle. I should go Rat Rod style and get creative with it. Rad looks, uh..rad haha. Looks from your pic and the one on their website like it has no mounting brackets like the stock one. Think you'll have to weld to the tanks?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I made a cradle for the bottom and bolted it to the core support.
I just made this top part. I didn't know if it was going to work. My 250 ton press brake is not set up for small stuff like this, but with a little hand bending and vice work I think it came out OK.
I figured this will be the first thing that one sees when the hood pops open and it will keep the cool air going towards the Radiators.

I'm going to dress it up a little with some button head allens on the pan and some std allens on the radiator. Hopefully the Stainless/Alum contact is minimum for that weird mixed metals corrosion factor.

Hvif_ynqGROTmD9vqGnV3GpfxbdmTM580Y0_mzs0x_OGdc-C6LJ8JctC_Y1wEAfw92UVhK5paq_o3hg3O8yh7i1kQrGUWywx.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Where are you mounting the tank, behind rear axle below cargo area floor? So jealous that you can build this stuff, and out of stainless. The best option I've found at this point is an XJ setup--Genright Offroad makes an extended capacity 30.5 gallon aluminum tank and steel skid plate for a cool $1000. One build I watched used that setup and it works with minimal modification. I may go factory XJ tank for now since I have a skid for one and then upgrade to that tank, we'll see. Here's the link for that if it helps your fab at all - https://genright.com/products/jeep-xj-extended-range-gas-tank-skid-plate-30-5-gal.html

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Mounting it where the spare tire goes. Just makes sense. If I feel like I need it I'll put a spare in the back or on the roof.
I'm really lucky on the shop front, but at the same time I've invested my life savings in this company. It's been a dream my whole life to have a fab shop.

I've already changed the design. I picked up some 12g and realized it's way overkill, and 14g is fine. The stock tank feels like it's 22g.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes the stock tank on those old Wags is definitely quite thin. Just to clarify I meant jealous in the best way possible, It's very cool that you have the capability to build the things you do, the way you do. I have more tools than the average 2 car garage "car guy", and access to more than I realize sometimes. The area I was asking about where you are mounting the tank is the spare tire area, I think that makes plenty of sense, there's much more room there for a large tank that won't get in the way of anything and just displaces the spare.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
I took it in the best way possible. Thanks.

I thought about the spare tire area early on, then I found this awesome article about a 76 jeep that put a tank under there.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1509-a-modern-1976-jeep-wagoneer-sleeper/

I think phase 2 in like 10 years will be a full fancy suspension like this Sleeper.

What I got so far. In the background is my 250 ton 12 foot press brake. It spent the first 20 years of its life in the Oregon State Prison. We call it the Prison Brake.

xxRY183ElJPFfBbOe-lHSQq51Aco8LmntkIZUlktR149z0bjCmuCgumL2xfZuFQMz-FaZ2i55qjUbNQULKZrDcABxTaXms8M.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, I read through that build on FSJ Network. Clean Car Shop I think the guy's handle is there. Amazing work, I really want to box my frame all the way back the way he did in that. The whole thing is a work of art at every bolt and weld. Tank is looking good! I'm still laughing about the name of your brake hah that's awesome

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I'm about half way through all 451 pictures they have posted. Wow. Maybe some day. Mine is so rough compared to that one.

I started over on the fuel tank. sugared a couple welds and decided to redo with 12g. I'm going to purge weld it this time. Learned a lot on my first screw-up(s).
Attempt #2. Only mistake so far was not reversing one side panel, so I have the vinyl (good side) on the inside. I'll probably scratch it plenty anyway. Right now I'm overthinking all my ports and stuff. Do I need a sump? Ports off the bottom, or diptube?
Do I make a drain? what fuel level sensor am I going to use? Will the motor die if the lift pump sucks air? Should I make a service panel?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't answer most of your questions. It I would absolutely put a drain and a large service port. Main reason I say drain is if you're ever at a full service station and they put some unleaded in there --yikes! Sounds stupid, but in NJ (one state over from me) they are all full serve and I have to watch them every time they fill my VW. Almost all stations have dual pumps (wish they'd have dedicated diesel ones and you'd eliminate this crap) I caught an attendant once pick up the gasoline pump and stick it in my tank. I screamed DIESEL DIESEL!! And almost got out of the car and pistol whipped him with the nozzle. If he'd squeezed the nozzle I'm not sure what woulda happened next but if there's a drain on the fuel tank I'd at least have been able to flush it. Anyway, yeah, a simple drain bung would be a nice feature

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
I really hate it, but in Oregon self serve is illegal except diesel. Some stations even have their own policies against self serve diesel. I've never had a close call, but my trucks are more than obvious diesels.
I'm going to put a drain in. It will only take me 10 min and I can just make it a 1/4" NPT with a plug. Nothing fancy.

Your comment makes me think I should find a green cap and/or a nice little sticker that says "DIESEL ONLY" just in case someone doesn't hear the clacking noise coming from the front.
Pretty happy with the tank so far. I ordered a fuel level sender for it this weekend, so fabrication will slow until that gets here. The dip-tube and sump took me forever to make. I should have built it into the half-coupler that I welded to the outside of the tank, and I should have just waited to buy a 3/8 90* elbow instead of making one. I'm going to build an Aux tank for my Duramax (stupid 26 gallon, 20g to E drives me crazy) so this is good practice for that.

qwdBWlnoZtZRmx_AQEfqQ6kosag2atFvxloiJaXg_wjNv1M4QgyrNbYSJorVNq4xODfK3sji39dMalUHZcaUorz0fn39w0G4.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Just picked up my new wheels and tires for the Jeep this morning.

My original plan was to have two sets of tires. One originals that the hubcaps would fit, then a set of bigger tires with some grip in the snow. The originals are 15x6. Once I found these black 15x8 wheels on sale for $29 ea and figured out that the backspacing was perfect and the hubcaps will fit on them, I was done. Now all I have to do is remove the hubcaps and I'll have a totally different look. Those are BFG AT KO2 in 31 x 10.5 r15. I think they look great.

Its hard to figure out what looks right, what will fit, and which way to go when you have axles from a Rodeo and a 77 Waggy. I've looked at the pics of that 77 sleeper build about 20 times and chose the same tire size he did. If mine can look half this sweet, I'll be stoked.

I'm going to push to have this thing rolling coal by Xmas. I'll post up some pics with the tires on the rig later once I get them on.

-Kevin

·
Registered
102 Posts
Looks awesome, really like that you can run a retro or modern look with those wheels. I will need to run 17x9s on mine to clear the brakes on my D60/14B but I would like to figure out a way to run a classic look. And all I want for Christmas is to see a video of you driving this. Get some!!

161 - 180 of 230 Posts