Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got the FJ80 and an '88 NPR with 190000 miles on the clock. I plan to start the swap this weekend. I'll be posting on the IH8Mud forum as well. The NPR is running and I have the whole truck. The truck had sat for a year and it took some effort to get it running due to electrical etc. Once going it hummed right along. My question is what if anything should I consider replacing/rebuilding on the 4BD? I plan to replace the oil seals, and later replace the turbo with a T25. I considered getting the IP and the injectors rebuilt but then thought they are easily removable later if needed.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I've spent some time looking under the the hood of a 80 series and it looks like a pretty good fit for the Isuzu.If yours is healthy, you should be able to access it pretty well later if needed.That being said, it wouldn't hurt to get the upper end done while it is out of the truck; 190k is a lot of miles, even for the 4bd1.
I'll look forward to pictures.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I've got the FJ80 and an '88 NPR with 190000 miles on the clock. I plan to start the swap this weekend. I'll be posting on the IH8Mud forum as well. The NPR is running and I have the whole truck. The truck had sat for a year and it took some effort to get it running due to electrical etc. Once going it hummed right along. My question is what if anything should I consider replacing/rebuilding on the 4BD? I plan to replace the oil seals, and later replace the turbo with a T25. I considered getting the IP and the injectors rebuilt but then thought they are easily removable later if needed.
I'd do the crank seals and bottom end bearings. They're cheap and the only parts that can't be done later on without pulling the engine.

Everything else on these can be easily accessed from above or below while the engine is bolted into the engine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys

Very helpful.
A friend and I got the toyota engine/trans/xfer case pulled. 8 hours, longer than I thought it would take. Now to cleaning up the engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
4bd

Hayes167,

What are you planning to use for a transmission? I have all the bugs worked out for installing the NV4500 tranny if you are going to use a stick shift.

Dieseltim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Transmission

Right now I plan to go with a 4l60 or a 700r4 as the truck it is going in is an automatic.
I plan to post on the Diesel 24 volt section in the isuzu 4BD1T swap?! thread.
Will a T25 turbo fit right on a 1T engine? what else will I need to run an intercooler on a 1T? intake hoses? and an intercooler?
Any ideas about what type of intercooler would be good? A stock NPR? other volvo?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
4bd on engine stand

A friend and I got the 4bd pulled in 3 hours. A very different experience than the toy drivetrain, 8 hours for engine tranny and xcase. I like this little engine, it is fairly straight foward. I love that it has so little wiring hooked to the engine. I pulled the jake brake and associated switches, engine shutdown/enrichment assembly, wiring connectors, and the glow plug relay.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Right now I plan to go with a 4l60 or a 700r4 as the truck it is going in is an automatic.
I plan to post on the Diesel 24 volt section in the isuzu 4BD1T swap?! thread.
Will a T25 turbo fit right on a 1T engine? what else will I need to run an intercooler on a 1T? intake hoses? and an intercooler?
Any ideas about what type of intercooler would be good? A stock NPR? other volvo?
The factory high mount turbo is a T25, but with a T3 mounting flange and no wastegate. If you have a different turbo then post up pics as there are at least two more.

To run an intercooler is mainly a plumbing exercise. I suggest the biggest intercooler you can easily fit. Using a standard intercooler off something else makes sense incase it gets damaged and needs replaced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glow plug timer

is the glow plug relay the same as the glow plug timer? I'm still working on pulling off all I want to from the NPR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am dismantling the 4bd currently to do a bottom end rebuild, clean, paint, and replace rusted bolts. The only problem so far were two exhaust manifold bolts that were fused to the manifold and the stud, nothing an angle grinder couldn't handle, gratefully they were accessable to the grinder.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
nice keep the pix up...

just too add the 99 and newer npr's have an asain a540 which is the same case as the a440 in your cruiser...

I have been trying to find someone to tell me if the output shafts can be swapped and the a540 bolted to the toy transfer case... just a thought if you are looking for more work....

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
nice keep the pix up...

just too add the 99 and newer npr's have an asain a540 which is the same case as the a440 in your cruiser...

I have been trying to find someone to tell me if the output shafts can be swapped and the a540 bolted to the toy transfer case... just a thought if you are looking for more work....
The 99 and newer NPR's have Aisin AW450 transmissions, however, these will not bolt to the 4BD1/2T series engines.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Projected swap cost

My swap will probably end up costing around 12K.

$2500 NPR
$250 cost to pick up NPR (hotel, gas, car rental)
$1300 Land Cruiser
$550 shipping Toyata
$1500 AA adapter for 700r4 to toy xfer case
$650 Isuzudieselswapper adapter
$800 Lift
$1000 engine parts (bearings, gasket set, used starter, used manual fly wheel, used a/c compressor)
$1000 hoses, exhaust, paint, solvent, other small parts
$800 700r4 and torque converter
total $10,350

both the xfer case adapter and my lift come form Austraila and the cost has gone way up due to the US dollar tanking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts