Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I’m new here but have been on mud for a while… recently my engine blew up in my 1987 BJ75 Troop Carrier and I’m trying to find a cheap and reliable engine. Then a 1989 NPR popped up for sale near me for $2500 with 89,000 miles… no brainer. I’m just having trouble finding any adapter still available today to fit it up to my H55f tranny. Does anyone have one laying around or know any other work arounds to make it work? Thanks!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
1986 or 1987 ?? NPR trucks that came with the GM automatic came from the factory with an adapter and dual flywheel setup that made the back of the engine look like the back of a Chevy. That's what I used and then an Advanced Adapter bell housing and clutch setup (chevy to Toyota kit). Downy made a kit as well. Kind of a rare find to run across an 87 NPR automatic these days.

That's the setup I did. Adapter, Isuzu manual flywheel, spacer, Gm flywheel, AA bell housing, H55. As far as an FJ60 goes, the added space of the adapter worked out well to keep engine off the firewall without doing driveline mods. I think the Almares kit put the engine right on the firewall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I forgot to mention, there was a company IDS Isuzu Diesel Swapper that made a kit that copied the rare factory NPR adapter mentioned above. I know they are out of business, but if you ran across a used one, it would work for you. It's actually their version that I'm currently using.

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
1986 or 1987 ?? NPR trucks that came with the GM automatic came from the factory with an adapter and dual flywheel setup that made the back of the engine look like the back of a Chevy. That's what I used and then an Advanced Adapter bell housing and clutch setup (chevy to Toyota kit). Downy made a kit as well. Kind of a rare find to run across an 87 NPR automatic these days.

That's the setup I did. Adapter, Isuzu manual flywheel, spacer, Gm flywheel, AA bell housing, H55. As far as an FJ60 goes, the added space of the adapter worked out well to keep engine off the firewall without doing driveline mods. I think the Almares kit put the engine right on the firewall.
GM automatics would have been very rare. More common was the Jatco (which had it's own bellhousing to fit the 4BD1T). The later 4BD2T was paired with an AISIN who also made the landcruiser automatics so that stuff can be conjured together.

·
Registered
198 Posts
GM automatics would have been very rare. More common was the Jatco (which had it's own bellhousing to fit the 4BD1T). The later 4BD2T was paired with an AISIN who also made the landcruiser automatics so that stuff can be conjured together.
I think in America the Aisin didn’t come into play until the 4HE1T. The 4bd2t’s still all had the Jatco.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

1987 BJ75
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

the NPR I came across is a 1989 with the MSA5D manual. Body is shot leaf spring mounts arent connected to the frame anymore, frame is rusted in half in more than one area. BUT... that engine starts with a crank of the started and transmission feels great. So I bought it for $2500 and drove it 700 miles from Kentucky to North Carolina. Absolutely terrifying drive but it made it nonetheless. Cosmetically ruined but mechanically perfect.
410+ PSI in all cylinders
Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant

Vehicle Car Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Nut

Brown Wood Bedrock Geological phenomenon Formation

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

Gesture Font Material property Thumb Writing
Glasses Goggles Vision care Sunglasses Motor vehicle

I'm excited to take on this swap. I think I may try to keep the Isuzu bell housing along with the engine, make an adapter plate for the Isuzu bell housing to H55F transmission alone. Use a 13BT clutch for the added power from the old 3B motor that was in the troopy and hope that the 13BT clutch will work together with the Isuzu pressure plate and flywheel!

If anyone has any recommendations or thinks this has no way or working please let me know! Trying to learn the most I can so if someone has experience that I don't I'd love to hear it. Never swapped a non-toyota engine into a Toyota, all new way of thinking about things

Here's a video I took incase the swap loses momentum and I need to sell the engine/tranny, engine cold start at 1 minute

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Great score and great photos. Starting with the truck looking okay and then "holy crap"!

That MSA-5D is a good gearbox with the wrong ratios. 5th is 1:1. Taking the bellhousing off it to make an adapter to the Toyota could be easy or could be a mission. Document it well and see if others follow.

Factor in a better turbo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The H55 only has a 15% OD ratio in 5th gear. Not that well suited for highway trips if you like to cruise over 65 MPH. That is unless you have 35" or bigger tires. Over 2250 RPM's these engines make lots of noise and consume lots more fuel.
Most other transmission out there, Auto or NV4500, the OD is around 30%

·
Registered
198 Posts
There is a company that makes a bellhousing adapter to the nv4500 still, see it on eBay occasionally, and there is an nv4500-HF2AV adapter. That could work with your LC’s axle offsets. Might be cheaper/easier in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts