Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there. i posted a thread in the 4bt section about coverting my 77 2wd f100 to diesel. i have also been looking at using a 4bd1t with its transmission. the question i have is, what options do i have for a rear mount for the trans ? does this engine just have a midmount on the bellhousing and the trans just hangs in the breeze, or do some have provision for some sort of rear mount ? also, any floor shifts available ? or, how hard to convert ? 4bd1t's are more plentiful in australia.

·
Super Moderator
8,912 Posts
The standard mount for a 4BD1 gearbox is a cross member that bolts along the top.

I have a surplus one at home, complete with the rubber mounts. But you're unlikely to fit it in a passenger vehicle.
You'll need to make up a rear mount. Plenty of bolts to work with near the back of the case.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, that's what i was after. as long as there's some sort of provision. most of the wrecking yards are 500-odd miles away from me. also, 4 bolt tailshaft flange and handbrake on the back i assume. also, dougal in the gearbox thread, you said something about a floor shifter setup. any chance of pics ?

·
Super Moderator
8,912 Posts
also, dougal in the gearbox thread, you said something about a floor shifter setup. any chance of pics ?
You'll have to wait until I've actually done it. Probably 2 years away yet.:grinpimp:

The plan is to use a cable change gearlever from a japanese FWD car. Haven't sourced the parts yet or designed anything.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
The plan is to use a cable change gearlever from a japanese FWD car. Haven't sourced the parts yet or designed anything.
I was looking at the FSM for the 2003 NPR trucks. They use a MXA 5-speed tranny and the linkage to the shifter is with cables rather than rods. The cover on the transmission looks very similar to the one on the MSA tranny so the shifter from a newer NPR might be adaptable to the MSA tranny, just need to shorten the cables.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts