Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With winter coming on my 4bd1t doesn’t get that warm. With rear heater core flow As well would it hurt anything to cap off the bypass if my heater is the bypass now? Would like to see coolant temps hotter.. My electric radiator fans never run even in summer… The only time they do is when the ac comes on..I wonder if you would put a 190 or 200 degree thermostat if mpgs wud rise

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Not what you’re asking, but do you suppose a cover on the grill would help?

Not to completely block airflow through the radiator, just block direct airflow.

I have canvas cover I use to cover the grill on my K5 in the winter, won’t get heat in the cab without it (6.2 diesel).

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
I simply hammered in plug into one of the ports, drilled a small hole through the plug for bleeding/circulation reasons and put the hose back on.

I run a full-flow heater core which does the same job as that bypass.

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
I have found radiator blocks to be useless in winter. Because thermostats do that job anyway.
But I have found intercooler blocks to be quite useful. Feeding the engine warm turbo boost instead of chilled turbo boost makes a huge difference.

On one of my cars I run a square carpet tile over the intercooler in winter. Worked great.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have found radiator blocks to be useless in winter. Because thermostats do that job anyway.
But I have found intercooler blocks to be quite useful. Feeding the engine warm turbo boost instead of chilled turbo boost makes a huge difference.

On one of my cars I run a square carpet tile over the intercooler in winter. Worked great.
With my stand alone trans cooler, I use one.

Reactions: Papa

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I rebuilt the motor 15k ago I put an OEM in. I know it is opening because my temp gauge will go up then drop down when it opens.Doug if you cover the intercooler then hot egt’s?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I have found radiator blocks to be useless in winter. Because thermostats do that job anyway… snip.
Just for conversation sake, you don’t suppose cold air forced through the engine compartment is enough to impede the engine from reaching operating temp?

Winter fronts are plenty popular with truckers around here, maybe it’s just consumerism at its finest. :unsure:

Reference pics:

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Light Product

I felt an obvious difference of in cab heat when I did something similar to pic bellow.

Automotive parking light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am trying to find one for my 99 suburban without goin the homemade farmers way😉
Actually, card board or political signs will work, spray paint it black before installing behind the grill, either way, it will give you good service.

Reactions: joshuak and Papa

·
Registered
316 Posts
I simply hammered in plug into one of the ports, drilled a small hole through the plug for bleeding/circulation reasons and put the hose back on.

I run a full-flow heater core which does the same job as that bypass.
Why even mess with the plugs ? Do you not / is there not a 1/2” NPT in the head right behind the oil filter ? To draw hot water from for the heater .

·
Registered
316 Posts
I may have to try that. Blocking the bypass didn’t really help.. These engines run cold So it seems
Is your hot water heater source that 1/2” NPT in the back on the side of the head , behind the fuel filter? With return at the lower radiator hose / water pump ?
If blocking the radiator & the inter-cooler does not work , I new this fellow in Arizona about 35yrs ago had a 3cyl Detroit in a Ford Pu and he eliminated the radiator by connecting the top hose to the bottom , so all he was left with was his cab heater .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts