Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 4BD2T that I’ve just finished building a remote oil filter setup for that is similar to the one Doug720 designed. I need help with banjo bolts that attach the steel oil feed line to top of oil filter housing, injection pump, and pump gear cover. Two bolts have large holes and one has smaller holes. I know one of the ones with big holes goes in top of filter housing however I’m not sure if the one with smaller holes goes in the injection pump housing to help maintain oil pressure out to the end of the line (pump gear cover). I can also see where the injection pump would need more oil so maybe it needs to be feed by the bolt with larger holes. Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to cause pump or gear problems down the road.

Thanks,
Don Ferguson

·
3,907 Posts
I have a 1992 4BD2T that I’ve just finished building a remote oil filter setup for that is similar to the one Doug720 designed. I need help with banjo bolts that attach the steel oil feed line to top of oil filter housing, injection pump, and pump gear cover. Two bolts have large holes and one has smaller holes. I know one of the ones with big holes goes in top of filter housing however I’m not sure if the one with smaller holes goes in the injection pump housing to help maintain oil pressure out to the end of the line (pump gear cover). I can also see where the injection pump would need more oil so maybe it needs to be feed by the bolt with larger holes. Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to cause pump or gear problems down the road.

Thanks,
Don Ferguson
Hi DOn,

The small fitting on the oil filter housing does feed oil to the IP hard line that connects to the pump on the side and front.

If you follow the link below to my build on mud, there are a bunch of pictures of the oil lines.

Let me know if you have questions.

Doug
Doug, I believe he is asking about the restrictor bolt in that line (ie does it go in the pump, or the timing cover?).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That's a good question. I wish I knew the answer. I just went to check both of those bolts on my 4BD1T, and they look the same. Unfortunately they could have gotten mixed up when I put the engine back together after having it balanced - that was too long ago for me to remember what I did, if anything to ensure they went back in the same position (I suspect nothing). I have pages from the parts book on photobucket but I'm having a dreadful time with it. The originals were on a hard drive that crashed. The only chance will be if I put links in this forum, as was my intention.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Erik- Thanks.....that is precisely my question. I'm just doing a bad job asking it. Did not know its called a restrictor bolt. Makes sense though as it does have smaller holes through sides to center port. As I mentioned above my hard line was held in place by two bolts with large holes and one with smaller holes. I know for a fact that one of the large hole bolts went in the top of the filter housing as I had put it in it's own ziplock bag.

John- thanks for looking.

Anybody else?

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went ahead and put the restrictor bolt in the side of the injection pump....hopefully that is correct.

thanks,

Don

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, the one with the small hole goes in the injection pump....I took mine apart today as I too am making a remote filter setup! Chic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chic,

Thanks that is good to know and gives me piece of mind. I try to note things as I remove/install but that one got by me.

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts