Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have been struggling to find a 4bt or 4bdit for months very hard to find and very expensive however iv just come across a 4bd2t low miles good runner is this ok? i hear good bad so im not too sure. i want to fit it into a c1500 2wd and im also intrested in whats a safe power upgrade regards boost/fuel i dont need expensive repairs! what can it realistcly produce safely as a daily driver? i amNOT in a desert climate!

alternativly i can get a 4jb1t 2.8 fairly easily is the 4bd2 that much better?

i can find info for the 4bd1 but im not sure if it applies to the 4bd2

hope you can clear this up

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Most of us have a preference for the 4bd1 over the 4bd2, especially those who plan performance up grades. I think in a half-ton Chevy, daily-driver, the 4bd2 would last a very long time. I would be tempted to go with the 4jb1t if it were easier to source, as you will easily get the power and economy you seek from it. It is also smaller, which will make a swap easier. They are much harder to find in the States, so you won't hear much about them from the yank side of this board. Here's another:
http://www.clubisuzu.com/viewforum.php?f=19
I think too often we get caught up in the numbers, and bigger always looks better on paper. The reality is the 3.9 was designed to haul around a lot more weight than any of us normally do, so it stands to reason the 2.8 will be plenty powerful for most of us.Good luck

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi coog

so is the 4bd2 is a differnt physical size than the 4bd1? i thought it was just the head thats different?
is it reliable enough? what its standard output and torque / rpm? as ive read various and im a bit confused. how much can it be upgraded before reliability and fuel usage is an issue?

as far as 2.8 engines go iveco use a 2.8 in a 6.5gvw van so i think the 2.8 isuzu would be ok but the 3.9 is more acceptable to buyersif i had to sell truck infact most dim witted truck fans are convinced anything less than a 350 v8 and the truck wont even do 10 mph!

i just cant find a 4bd1 anywhere they all get exported allthough thye concentrate more on th 4h units now

·
Registered
268 Posts
They are the same physical size. 1T is direct injection, 2T is indirect. The 2T will be a bit quieter, and less efficient. The heads have a tendency to crack, so expect to replace the head if you have to rebuild it. But I would certainly use a low mileage 4BD2T runner...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
as far as 2.8 engines go iveco use a 2.8 in a 6.5gvw van so i think the 2.8 isuzu would be ok but the 3.9 is more acceptable to buyersif i had to sell truck infact most dim witted truck fans are convinced anything less than a 350 v8 and the truck wont even do 10 mph!
not just iveco, but also ford, mercedes-benz, opel/vauxhall, renault, fiat and volkswagen use a lot of small engines in vans that can get a gvw greater than a 1/2ton chevy (ford have already fitted some southern-american f150s with the same 2.5L turbodiesel found in the argentinian sprinter in the 90s, and after the yom kippur war that happened in '73 gm has made some 4cyl 2.5L gasser c10s for latin-american and some overseas markets while ford had offered the f100 with the 2.3L "georgia" engine, not to talk about those fitted with a 3cyl perkins)... about buyers acceptance: the american market would be less receptive to a full-size pickup with a small engine due to their (stereo)typical "there is no replacement for displacement" automotive culture while european customers tend to prefer some stuff more reasonable... after seeing a lot of f150s (some already factory-fitted) and some chevy 1500s fitted with diesels in the 2.5/2.8L range i would not expect a bad reaction from an european buyer that likes the design of a "yank tank" but see their usually big engines as something avoidable...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
As Pete said, same physical size - B is a family designation (IIRC all same bore), D is a particular displacement/stroke, 1 & 2 are versions (2 is later), T is turbo, C in intercooled.

The main difference is that the 4BD1T is direct injection, while 4BD2T is indirect injection. The heads are different as are the pistons because the indirect injection method has a pre-combustion chamber in the head and the direct injection method has the combustion chamber in the piston crown.

The 4BD2T heads tend to develop cracks, usually from the pocket that is made for the pre-combustion chamber cup. Only guessing, but cracks may be the result of abuse and incorrect shut-down procedure by drivers.

Regardless the 4BD1T is proven more durable, and direct injection is more efficient (better BSFC). 4BD2T have higher stock torque and power, but IMHO this is due to tune of the engine for later Isuzu trucks that have intercoolers (no stock Isuzu's with 4BD1T were intercooled AFAIK).

I don't understand why you stated - "i amNOT in a desert climate!" (edit: desert is defined by rainfall and evaporation rate, although many associate it with temps - end edit)

Diesels run cool compared to gasoline engines, and a 4BD1T will happily live most anywhere - they will still be around and run OK after the nuclear holocaust. In fact with their relatively low compression ratio, running to cool is more of a problem and a good thermostat is require to keep their operating temp up where they run best.

Unless ambient temps can be around freezing, the 4BD1T will hardly require glow plugs, where a 4BD2T (or other indirect injection diesel) will require an operational glow plug system.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Direct, is supposed to be more efficient, and I would assume lower emissions........ why would Isuzu go from a direct to an indirect design? That seems backwards to me.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Direct, is supposed to be more efficient, and I would assume lower emissions........ why would Isuzu go from a direct to an indirect design? That seems backwards to me.
I'm only guessing, but in the period, indirect injection diesels tended to be a little quieter and smoother than direct injection.

Most (if not all) modern diesels are direct injection for the reasons stated, and use multi-stage injection to improve noise, etc.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
the most weird stuff about 'em is that the 2t met stricter emission laws even with idi...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi all thanks for the replies

i have a few 4jb1t motors as they are simply more readily available and fitted to more vehicles here the 4bd motors are very hard to find and only fitted in comercial vehicles so the price is higher
heres the deal i allready have a good 4jb1t bt i also now have luckily found a bd2tc but iv no idea of true mileage or any work done to it just that it was running fine in a car delivery truck last week that blew the gearbox but this talk of cracked heads is scaring me is it a big issue really common or happens on a few? how do you tell without removing it ? it will be under far less stress in my pick up

i know te 2.8 would work they have an amazing reputation easy for transmission and adaptor plates and get fitted to range rovers land rovers etc with great resiults but try telling that to a yank truck buyer even here the u,s car fans have that ignorant frame of mind coninced you need 6ltrs minimum!

anybody want to do a deal on 4jb1t motors for 4bdt????

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
i have a few 4jb1t motors as they are simply more readily available and fitted to more vehicles here the 4bd motors are very hard to find and only fitted in comercial vehicles so the price is higher
(...)
i know te 2.8 would work they have an amazing reputation easy for transmission and adaptor plates and get fitted to range rovers land rovers etc with great resiults but try telling that to a yank truck buyer even here the u,s car fans have that ignorant frame of mind coninced you need 6ltrs minimum!
if the 2.8 is successful in some vehicles with a closer size/weight class and you can easily find compatible transmissions (including an automatic if you would prefer their comfort for city heavy traffic) i would not discharge this option completely as it seems cost-effective... about yank tank fans in europe: i would like to see they would react after drive a factory 2.5L turbodiesel f150...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
have you driven a 2,5td f150? what is it like what body style/weight is te truck and what is best suited axle ratio? are you meaning 2.5 daily motor?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If you can find a 4BD2T for a good price I wouldn't avoid it. For a full size truck I'd rather have the extra displacement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i now have one but whats the deal with cracked heads is it very common and if it happens is it fixable im starting to worry!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
have you driven a 2,5td f150? what is it like what body style/weight is te truck and what is best suited axle ratio? are you meaning 2.5 daily motor?
i have actually never drove a 2.5L f150, and they were factory-fitted with the 2.5L 4cyl avaliable in the argentinian mercedes-benz sprinter... it was actually a maxion hs engine rebadged by mercedes-benz as om014, and the version used in the f150 was the 115hp one... but they're still easy to find even being offered for only one model year fitted with mazda m5r2-od and a 4.27:1 rear end... that engine have been offered only for 2wd ones but is still used in a lot of public services in brazilian countryside... however, some ambulance drivers reported to have exceeded 160km/h in sprinter fully-equipped mobile icu's and these rigs are rated to a heavier gvw than a f150...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i now have one but whats the deal with cracked heads is it very common and if it happens is it fixable im starting to worry!
If you keep up on the maintenance I doubt you will have much of an issue. I wouldn't try to fix your cracked head but look for a new or reman unit, I've seen them as low as $300 USD here. There's a seller on ebay.uk with some for 280 GBP, I'm not sure how close that is to you, there may be something closer.

Or put the money into a conversion to 4BD1T pistons and head and enjoy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts