Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like I have finally got everything into one pile now, I have gotten most of the parts, and we just finished measuring everything up. I hope to have everything machined and ready to bolt together in the next few weeks.

I have found a way to get around the dual flywheel problem, by using an NV4500 tranny from a Dodge truck, an adapter from JB conversions to adapt the nv 4500 to my Dana 300, and now with a bit of machining I am making a plate to bolt the isuzu 5speed bellhousing to the front of the NV4500. With a replacement for the isuzu pilot bearing ( to match the NV) I think I have a WINNER!!!bounce

I will have to do a bit of machine work on the Isuzu bellhousing to make clearance for the bearing retainer on the NV, but that will not be too big of a deal.

Is anyone else interested in trying this, after I get it all programmed up. I wander if anyone else would want one?

Dieseltim:D

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Sounds like an interesting approach. I've been considering modifying the output shaft on an Isuzu 5-speed to couple it to a Landcruiser split T-case but it might be simpler to chuck the Isuzu tranny and go with the NV4500 as adapters are already available comercially to couple the NV4500 to the split LC T-case. I'll be interested to hear how your approach turns out.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pics comming soon

As soon as we have the plate made I will have lots of pic, so far the only pics are of the parts and us measuring them. In the next week or so we will have the plate in the mill and then I can post some pics of how it is going to fit together.

Dieseltim

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NV4500 vs. NV5600

Pele, I designed the adapter to use the isuzu bellhousing and the input shaft from the Dodge NV4500, mostly because of the availbility of the NV4500 from the Dodge and GM trucks. I needed the extra length of the Dodge input shaft to be able to have a 1/2" thick adapter plate to bolt the isuzu bellhousing to the front of the NV4500. I know that the NV4500 weighs about 195lbs and I think the NV5600 weighs almost 500Lbs. For the differents of having 1 extra gear and little differents in OD, .74 vs .73 in the NV5600 I really don't think I would want to put the NV5600 behind the Isuzu 4bd engine. I am really sure I don't what to try to shoe horn it into my Jeep CJ7 LOL.

As for updates, I am ready for you to send me a bellhousing for us to machine ( allow about 3 weeks for turn time) and you will have your adapter kit in hand.

$650 +shipping for the basic kit.
+ $100 for the machine work, if you want us to do the bellhousing mod.

The bellhousing machine work is the most critical part of this adapter, if you are not sure of your local machine shops work then don't take the chance. This is a .0002 fit and MUST be right or you will not have the proper fit and it will give you problems with the clutch and input shaft.

As for other updates I am working on building a webpage but I want to have several folks feedback to use on the site, and some more install pics.

I am still offering $50 back if you send me a write-up of your install, with pics to be used on the site.

Dieseltim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts