Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out guys.I found a 1992 grumman step van (bread truck) with a 4BD2TC. I was hoping it was a 4 BD d1t but it wasn't. I can get the engine for a hell of a deal. 100 bucks complete with turbo and all accessories. The odometer has one hundred and eighty seven thousand miles. But the guy said the truck (previously owned by national) has been sitting for 8 years and the motor is wore out because it was to small for the job . Is it worth it to get it. Should I pull anything else while in there. is the transmission worth getting, its an auto. What should i look for?this will be my first diesel motor. I've been reading up on this for the last few weeks on the website But I am a gasoline guy. Anyhow should i pass or get it. Oh yah its going into a scout 80.
Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
With that low a mileage it should be nicely worn-in not worn-out, unless it hasn't been serviced (clean air, oil and fuel) or driven properly (lugged everywhere, or idled for ever, and limited to short trips without warming up properly).

The engine is designed to run at full load and speed all day. The tuning of the fuel injection pump limits the full load, not the size of vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Help me out guys.I found a 1992 grumman step van (bread truck) with a 4BD2TC. I was hoping it was a 4 BD d1t but it wasn't. I can get the engine for a hell of a deal. 100 bucks complete with turbo and all accessories. The odometer has one hundred and eighty seven thousand miles. But the guy said the truck (previously owned by national) has been sitting for 8 years and the motor is wore out because it was to small for the job . Is it worth it to get it. Should I pull anything else while in there. is the transmission worth getting, its an auto. What should i look for?this will be my first diesel motor. I've been reading up on this for the last few weeks on the website But I am a gasoline guy. Anyhow should i pass or get it. Oh yah its going into a scout 80.
Thanks fellas.
did anyone ever hear back about this? I have a Grumman Corp van with Tbi SBC and 4L80E I’d like to swap for my spare 4BD2TC diesel into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts