Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 4BD2TC for sale, its all there in a 94 npr with a 16' flat bed, I can get it for $1,200.00 delivered to my house, so far it sounds great BUT it does not run and they have no history on this truck, how bad could it be ?

I talked to David at Isuzu swappers and he said that I should look for a 4BD1T or a 4BD2TC.

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
I guess the first question is, can it be turned?
Does it crank with the starter or put it in top gear and tow/push it.

If the engine turns you can probably rule out really severe stuff like broken cranks and assume that at least the block and some of the bottom end parts (crank, conrods etc) are usable condition.

From there it can be anywhere from a wire or fuel line issue (easy and cheap) to a motor that's almost scrap.
I'd factor in a new/rebuilt head for those (indirect injection heads are weaker than the direct injection 4BD1 heads), bonus if it doesn't need it but do include it in the budget for now.

IMO it's worth it for the gearbox and other parts alone.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My guess is that the truck is an auto,and, chances are pretty good that it is shot and is the reason the truck is sitting where it is.For some reason I have found several '94 and '95 trucks with blown engines with around 150k on them.The truck does sound like a good deal, as I imagine it is Az. rust free.Check out the rebuild kit on ebay.Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out someone put gasoline in the fuel tank and drove it till it stopped running, this all happened over 4 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
Turns out someone put gasoline in the fuel tank and drove it till it stopped running, this all happened over 4 years ago.
It may not be that bad then. A flush and bleed of the fuel system may get it running.
There are plenty of theories on what a tank of petrol does to a diesel engine, but everyone I know who's had it happen got up and running again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya we are thinking it might just need a good flush and possible rebuild the fuel pump, I think that it should just stop running before it does any internal damage . How well do the injectors holdup on the Isuzu's ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
4BD2TC Running with Gas

Same thing happened to the '95 I bought. One of the cylinders had to be re-sleeved (not sure how long they drove it for). The PO paid for machine work to be done which with the kit cost him $2100. This happened to be about 4 years ago too. Luckily for you, yours is all in one piece. I got mine in pieces and not all of them. I'm dragging on updating my thread on mud but http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-pig-preservation-society/167575-1972-bdj55-t-resto-mod.html
Hopefully yours is much less serious. Even at $2100, that's $3300 total which is less than what they seem to be going for used and you have the whole truck to get whatever extra parts off of it you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im still looking for an engine, turns out this one has a big hole in the side of the block.:(

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
Im still looking for an engine, turns out this one has a big hole in the side of the block.:(
Is it complete enough to still be worth getting?
If it has all the accesories and pieces, then getting it for a good price then a good 4BD1T or 4BD2T core and bolting the rest on could be an option.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
D Rat did you see the one for $3k on ebay? The seller has posted a video of it running...looks like it runs great.Might be cheaper than finding and building one.Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts