Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have about 432 hours on a 4bt swap with a t19 Borg Warner and the ford kit.

I purchased a small block ZF5 and am curious.

What parts are compatible with the T19 and the zf5?

What do I need to gather to be prepared to swap them out?

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
OK, is this a 2wd or 4wd? If your ZF is from a small block Ford it should be a direct bolt on to the engine. It will have the internal hydraulic slave unit you have to deal with. 4x4 models will bolt to most Ford transfer cases and have a 31 spline output shaft. If you were running a NP205 transfer case you would need to do a slight mod to the transmission case for clearance. Is you ZF the S5-42 or S5-47?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, is this a 2wd or 4wd? If your ZF is from a small block Ford it should be a direct bolt on to the engine. It will have the internal hydraulic slave unit you have to deal with. 4x4 models will bolt to most Ford transfer cases and have a 31 spline output shaft. If you were running a NP205 transfer case you would need to do a slight mod to the transmission case for clearance. Is you ZF the S5-45 or S5-47?
It is a 4x4 tranny and it mates perfect to the NP 205 after I took the chunk of the ZF5 out to accommodate for the shift rail.

It does have the internal slave and I replaced that already. Will it use the same clutch as the T19? Will it use the same transmission mount? can I just swap the clutch hose to make the old master and new slave work together?

It doesn't have the id plate on the tranny, is there another way I can find out if is the 45 or 47?

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Don't really know that it matters whether it's a 42 or 47 in your case. Reason I asked was the 2wd 42 has a speedometer outlet and the 47 doesn't. The 4x4 models look identical but there may be more ribs on the case. As far as I know everything else is a bolt up. Guys often put in a new clutch assembly instead of a used one. Don't know if there will be an issue using the old master on the clutch slave. Might drop a PM to member Eggman. He had that transmission in his F250 until he changed to twin turbos. The small block clutch just couldn't stand the torque created by his twin turbos so he went to the 7.3 diesel ZF which can use a 13" clutch. It also has better gear ratios than the small block ZF. Just a heck of lot more expensive to adapt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts