Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to swap my 4.2L V6 in my F150 for a 4BT. It has a M5R2 tranny and from what I have heard the M5R2 can handle 350ft-lbs of torque. What could be done to get the 4BT to about 350ft-lbs on a budget? I'm looking for a mild performance boost. I don't know if I will be running the engine intercooled or not. Any help/suggestions would be great. I am planning on mainly using the truck as a daily driver with the occasional trailer up to roughly 7000lbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love it!!! The next thing i put a 4bt into will be an f-150 with a sas! Ide say get some gov springs, advance the timing, and turn the fuel up. Is it a rotary or p-pump? also ive herd of guys taking the stock turbo off a common rail and putting them on 4bt. they have a small enough exhaust housing to spool up w a 4 cyl, but have a bigger compresser housing than the stocker.... Im from indy, and we have this plase called Turbo diesel injection that sells all that good stuff for cummins engines. If u call them ask for Mark Burris, he is a cummins guru. 317-247-7373

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
stock they are close to the 350ft/lbs mark. And it doesn't take much to break 450ft/lbs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm wanting to swap my 4.2L V6 in my F150 for a 4BT. It has a M5R2 tranny and from what I have heard the M5R2 can handle 350ft-lbs of torque. What could be done to get the 4BT to about 350ft-lbs on a budget? I'm looking for a mild performance boost. I don't know if I will be running the engine intercooled or not. Any help/suggestions would be great. I am planning on mainly using the truck as a daily driver with the occasional trailer up to roughly 7000lbs.
governor spring ,plus a little tweaking with screws and timing...that's it.the average 4bt is close to 300 lbs as it sit's.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have a M5R2 behind mine and it seems to handle the torque just fine. I don't know where I am at with my mods but I'm sure I am close to 350#'s.
Dave

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
I love it!!! The next thing i put a 4bt into will be an f-150 with a sas! Ide say get some gov springs, advance the timing, and turn the fuel up. Is it a rotary or p-pump? also ive herd of guys taking the stock turbo off a common rail and putting them on 4bt. they have a small enough exhaust housing to spool up w a 4 cyl, but have a bigger compresser housing than the stocker.... Im from indy, and we have this plase called Turbo diesel injection that sells all that good stuff for cummins engines. If u call them ask for Mark Burris, he is a cummins guru. 317-247-7373

Or you could just go with a vendor on this board instead. Scott(crewcab59 on here) specializes in cummins parts, or I can get some things like turbos and such.

Yes the m5r2 will handle that fine, even with an upgraded turbo and some extra fueling you should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts