Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching and can't find what I am looking for. I have a 4BT I am rebuilding that came out of a freto-lay van. It has a GM adapter but had a SH465 4 speed. I have a 4l80e lined up and can not find good information on the flex plate to adapt the 2 together. This package is going into an 1984 Grand Wagoneer. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
OK. the flex plate is Cummins part 3918957. Crank spacer is part 3916101. The wave ring that goes between the flex plate and torque converter is part 3908124. The entire kit with bolts is sold under part FW9043. Your GM manual setup is quite rare and you might be able to sell the flywheel to recoup some money. Might even swap with someone for the automatic parts. If you buy new, hang onto your shorts. May be looking at $1000 or more from Cunmins. There are some aftermarket parts available but nothing cheap. If you need the bolt part numbers I'll try to find those for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been searching and can't find what I am looking for. I have a 4BT I am rebuilding that came out of a freto-lay van. It has a GM adapter but had a SH465 4 speed. I have a 4l80e lined up and can not find good information on the flex plate to adapt the 2 together. This package is going into an 1984 Grand Wagoneer. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an adapter and flex plate for Cummins to Chevy automatic that I'd trade for your standard setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an adapter and flex plate for Cummins to Chevy automatic that I'd trade for your standard setup.
I would think the adapters are the same. The flywheel is very heavy and would cost a small fortune to ship from SoCali to east coast
I would like a trade though

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Yeah, the adapter plate is the same for manual or automatic. One thing you need to note is those adapters are designed for the engine to be tilted. If the engine is mounted in level position, then the transmission will be tilted. May not be a good thing for an automatic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The adapter I have I think the engine and transmission are both straight up , I'll have to look. I have the starter and flex plate. The guy I got it from was running a turbo 400 on it but I think it's the same. I live in Wickenburg Arizona , maybe that's not too far apart so we could get together ?

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
If you look at the adapter plate there will be 7 bolts that attach it to the engine block if it's a tilted version. There are 8 bolts in the non tilted version. There are rumors that there was a non tilted GM version but have never seen one and don't have a part number for it. All the ones used on Ford applications were non tilted. There are aftermarket GM units that are not tilted but they use a custom billet flex plate. The starter is the same on manual or automatic applications. You mentioned you have the flex plate but do you have the spacer and wave ring also?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The adapter I have I think the engine and transmission are both straight up , I'll have to look. I have the starter and flex plate. The guy I got it from was running a turbo 400 on it but I think it's the same. I live in Wickenburg Arizona , maybe that's not too far apart so we could get together ?
I have a place in Topock, AZ, less than 3 hrs away. Would you be interested in the Muncie SH465 4 speed that was bolted to it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am in AZ with the flywheel clutch set up. Want to trade???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I have been digesting this whole setup. An aftermarket adapter and flex plate around 1K, freto adapter free, flexplate crank adapter, spacer and wave ring 1K. But the flex plate from freto th465 works alone but no one has a part number. I have the engine, I have the transmission and transfercase. There must be a less expensive way to mate these together. I have the flywheel clutch setup and the SH465 4 speed that came out of it for trade. HELP

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no cheap way out. Not sure what you mean about the flex plate "works alone". The Cummins factory GM adapter plate requires their flex plate, spacer, and wave ring assembly to mount a transmission. Not sure if you can get an aftermarket adapter for $1000. Destroked charges $795 for the adapter plate and $625 for the billet flex plate plus $129 for the starter. Have to also figure a torque converter with a lower stall speed and an outboard transmission controller into the equation. This is why most of our guys who do an automatic opt for a Dodge Cummins unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts