Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

4BT/6BT Cummins to 6.9/7.3 IDI automatic adapter

5K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Snuggletough 
#1 ·
Rare factory adapter for a 4BT/6BT cummins engine to a Ford 6.9/7.3 Automatic trans. Uses a factory Cummins/Dodge starter which is included. Came out of my 86 F250 that was swapped in the early 90s for a Allison 1000 swap. I also have a core C6 trans and a freshly rebuilt 4wd C6 and VSV valve.

$750 for the adapter. $1000 for the adapter and both trans. I can ship on the buyers dime and I have pallets and a forklift if you desire frieght shipping on the transmissions. Located in Mohave Valley, AZ 86440.

See less See more
#3 ·
Any other forum members have one of these adapters? Or have more info on applications or where to find? TIA

#6 ·
I bought to marry to a ZF6

#10 ·
I asked same question in 3rd post, would like more info on these. Char has stated they were used rarely in industrial apps before going SAE. I will text Phil to see if he knows where this came from.

#11 ·
Chris's truck was converted back in the 90s in Mesa(Tri-Star Truck/Reliable Diesel and Auto)AZ. He believes its a factory medium duty part used on F450s and up.

#12 ·
Well, the F450 tag only started with the 1999 model year.

I thought, in the US, only MD Ford trucks had a Cummins option...and, that they all had MD transmissions. I see there was a Cummins option for Super Duty trucks made in/for Brazil.

If one had a P/N for the Brazil adapter...

#13 ·
I meant the F-Superduty then. 1992+ F Superduty had the Cummins as an option. I always called them F450s F550s, F600s, F650s, ect.

Wherever the breadtruck adapters came from is where this probably came from too. I doubt it's still in production since it was so seldomly used.

#15 ·
I've been around Ford trucks all my life. Never seen a Cummins option on the F Superduty. The IHC V8 was the only diesel available. The F650 and up models offered the Cummins. The F Superduty was a special name designation and in reality an F450. The VIN ID shows that but they just didn't use the name F450 until 1999. The one big option that was offered on the F Superduty was 4x4. Have never seen one for sale anywhere. It was a custom dealer installed kit with a Marmon Herrington front axle and transfer case. I suspect that was one heck of an expensive option. May have cost half as much as the chassis cab truck unit.

#16 ·
I could be wrong. It's possible the trucks I've seen were conversions.

My thoughts is this adapter was made by whoever did the casting/machined the breadtruck adapters. It looks similar in construction to me. Not sure why everyone wants one of these so bad when so many companies make adapters these days.

#17 ·
I agree: it looks OEM. I never gave any thought to who is actually casting the OEM adapters. You would think that company would need a reasonably-high volume customer before casting.

There are F350 4BT trucks in Brazil...I assume those trucks don't have medium-duty transmissions, and that they have 4BT-to-Ford-Pattern adapters.

Who knows why I find the notion of a little-known OEM adapter for a FBB transmission so interesting. I will be needing an adapter sometime in the next year or three (I own a 6BT, ZF5, and F350)...so, it is not like my interest is totally academic.

#18 ·
I wouldn't get too excited over it myself.

Sand casting is expensive today. When that was made nearly 30 years ago there were a lot more patternmakers and foundries still around. That is a very basic part to cast and that was done using a low-end, low cost pattern in coarse sand. Today, if you needed one or many thousands of those adapter plates you would machine that from solid. It's more cost effective and a better end result. No heat treating involved, no sand to cut through. Think about this- You are buying aluminum by the lb whether you machine it or pour it in a mold. The waste is about the same machining from solid or sand casting. If you had 50K of those plates to make then you pony up to different types of casting which are much more cost effective after initial expenses.

The bellhousing shape is different from the early Powerstroke that used the C6 and ZF5 to the one used on the 7.3 pattern ZF6. The bolts are in the same spot, but the starter pocket in the bellhousing is in a different location on the ZF6 from the earlier transmissions. If you can figure out a flywheel with the right spacing to fit you'll probably have to grind some of the ZF6 bellhousing away to fit that starter nose in there.

The advantage to running a plate made from solid is you get a more compact starter (6.0/6.4/6.7 powerstroke) and the plate is thinner so that gigantic hump in the top of the 7.3 bellhousing isn't crammed hard against your firewall.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.