Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I had a question about the 4bt and 6bt cummins engines. Are these the same engines dodge puts in their trucks or are they different. I have been reading a lot of posts on the 4bt and 6bts but wasnt sure if they are dodge engines per say. If they are different what would you call the dodge cummins engine. thankyou!

caleb

·
Registered
854 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummins_B_Series_engine

Same family (B series) but 4 cylinder versus 6 cylinder

The 6BT is VERY heavy (about 1100 - 1200 lbs) so requires a REALLY beefy front axle for the swap. The 4BT is about 750-800 lbs or so, about the same weight as the 400M that came out of my F-250!

4BT engines are a little harder to find than the much-more-common 6BT dodge diesel engines.

As a comparison, many will agree the 4BT feels about the same power-wise as a 90's-era TBI 350 Chevy, but with DOUBLE the fuel mileage!

The 4BT engines are nearly 300 lb ft of torque, even at the stock 105 HP (non-intercooled) but with some very simple mods, you can get near 400 lbs ft of torque and 150+ HP. These are about the limits of any stock clutch found behind most gas engines, so if you need more power you need to be ready to add some $$$$ for a really heavy duty clutch.

·
Registered
500 Posts
hello all,
I had a question about the 4bt and 6bt cummins engines. Are these the same engines dodge puts in their trucks or are they different. I have been reading a lot of posts on the 4bt and 6bts but wasnt sure if they are dodge engines per say. If they are different what would you call the dodge cummins engine. thankyou!

caleb
There is no "dodge cummins". There's the GM Duramax, The Cummins, and then there's everything else :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts