Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, will a SAE #6 adapter work for the 4bt to a 700r4 ?Or does any one know which one will work? & , any for sale, also need the flex plate for this combo. (or, did I read , that a flex plate needs to be made, as there are none factory made for this combo) All input is appreciated.
Thnx
Patrick

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have to go the adapter route, you will be looking at probably SAE #3 adapter. A few 4bt bell housings, with Ford set up, had SAE #4.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi DarylB,

Well, where do I get my hands on a TC like that? :idea: Looks tough.
Does it have the needed reduced stall setting of 1200?
Any idea on price and performance?

Best Regards,
George

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thank you DarylB!

That info saves a lot of time and headaches!:D

I'm looking at those specs and it shows 800 stall, wondering how well it works and runs. (curious since every trans guy's been telling me 1200 stall)

That price is for the converter and includes the welded-on modification?

My specs:
4BT, P30 GM auto adapter, stock P30 flexplate/crankspacer/wave ring,
700R4 from a 4x4 diesel (slightly built), NP208 Transfer, and a GV gear splitter (gives me 8 gears in 2WD---700R ratios great for diesel but they are WIDE for the 4BT shift points).

Hope this isn't considered a thread hijack, seems relavent though...

Best Regards,
George

·
Registered
500 Posts
Correct. I've had a few members contact me about this but I'm unaware if anyone has bought one from him yet. I figure Shipping is going to run you $25-45 UPS Ground (it's heavy), but fill us in if you do buy one.

Since the 4BT GM vans had a Factory TH400/475 Auto, the standard 400 converter has an 11.5" diameter bolt pattern, 6 bolt pattern. I did some research and they only made an 10.5" pattern w/ 6 lugs on a 700R4 (For the 6.2L diesels I believe). I brought him my flywheel so he could have a look. He said basically they have little flanges they can weld on a converter to mount the bolts - he was suprised when they sent him my converter. He said they made it beefier since it was for a Diesel. The ring is 1/2" thick. He recommended the 800 stall since the diesel is rather torquey. The guy has been building Auto's for nearly 30 years, so I trust em. He does custom racing converters so I figure he's got the expertise to know what stall works on what engine.

I believe a stock 4L80E has the same bolt pattern as the TH400 and has 6 lugs, some folks like to run that tranny. Too much of a HP draw for me, length, weight, gear ratios too. 700R4 is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah, I'm considering that one too. I found one website (I believe at transmissioncenter.com) selling the processor for manual lock, 3-4, and 2-3 with three separate switches in the cab. I also found an article that leaves it all hydraulically activated, thus "hands-off" completely, so the options are out there...

...the 700R varied in degree of elect control as they developed. Pre-87 are def weaker mechanically as well, unless they've been rebuilt with the proper upgrades.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Using the built-in lockup in 4th gear via pump pressure."

does that have the lockup cancellation coming from the brake sensor?

(just two wires coming out of the trans I think)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thank you DarylB!

That info saves a lot of time and headaches!:D

I'm looking at those specs and it shows 800 stall, wondering how well it works and runs. (curious since every trans guy's been telling me 1200 stall)

That price is for the converter and includes the welded-on modification?

My specs:
4BT, P30 GM auto adapter, stock P30 flexplate/crankspacer/wave ring,
700R4 from a 4x4 diesel (slightly built), NP208 Transfer, and a GV gear splitter (gives me 8 gears in 2WD---700R ratios great for diesel but they are WIDE for the 4BT shift points).

Hope this isn't considered a thread hijack, seems relavent though...

Best Regards,
George
I plan on doing the same exact setup but was wondering if the tranny had to be out of a diesel? thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
the GM adapter will mate to a 700r4. If you get the whole GM setup, flywheel housing, flex plate, the "wavy band" and the piece in the center. I had an adapter made up to mate the 700r4's torque converter to the wavy band, like this:
Thanks for the measurements on the adapter plate, it turned out awesome, BudBuilt in NC was able to cut it for me after the Copperhead Fab guys strung me along for 2 or 3 weeks and couldn't deliver:grinpimp:

I owe you some beers:beer::beer:
adap1.jpg
adap2.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts