Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does a 4bt go for in your general area?
Please give approximate location and price.
Did it come with a transmission or was it in a vehicle or just a drivetrain?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hostess went bankrupt in 2012 and there were lots of bread trucks sold off at auction. Most of these engines got sold off by 2013 or 2014. I really do no recall any 4bt engines for sale in AZ in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am in Maine. What I am seeing:

Core motors, $1,500 to 2k
Running, industrial 4BTs in the $2k to $3k range.
Running, on-road 4BTs for $3k to $4k...transmissions don't seem to impact price, much...but, they tend to come with non-OD manual trannys.
Recently-rebuilt on-road 4BTs for $5k and up

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought mine about 10 ish years ago. It came from Decatur Indiana. It was in a 77 half ton Chevy with a homemade flatbed. It had a turbo 400 auto 2WD. I bought it for $2500.00

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not a Cummins but I've had a complete Isuzu NPR truck with a good running 4bd1t listed on here for 4 months at $3500 OBO and have yet to get a response.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a Cummins but I've had a complete Isuzu NPR truck with a good running 4bd1t listed on here for 4 months at $3500 OBO and have yet to get a response.
A few of my friends have mentioned this engine but I’m a little ignorant about them. How versatile are they? What are the pros and cons vs the 4bt?

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
The Isuzu engine is a good engine but does have some issues vs the Cummins. There are tons of aftermarket parts for a 4bt but not so much for a 4bd1t. Both engines have similar power in stock form and the Isuzu probably has a wider torque curve in its power. Transmission adapters often become an issue with the Isuzu. Companies who have made some have come and gone over the years. Not sure what is currently available. The Isuzu has its oil pump located in the pan and if there is interference between the pan and front axle there's not a lot that can be done. The Isuzu the Bosch A injection pump. Not a bad pump but not a lot of performance mods out there. Same style pump was used on 4bt industrial engines. The Isuzu has replaceable sleeves which can be considered a positive. Instead of boring the block, you just replace the sleeves and stay standard bore. Both engines are direct injection but later model Isuzu 4bd2t was indirect.There's a section on the forum dedicated to those engines so you can do some reading.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Isuzu engine is a good engine but does have some issues vs the Cummins. There are tons of aftermarket parts for a 4bt but not so much for a 4bd1t. Both engines have similar power in stock form and the Isuzu probably has a wider torque curve in its power. Transmission adapters often become an issue with the Isuzu. Companies who have made some have come and gone over the years. Not sure what is currently available. The Isuzu has its oil pump located in the pan and if there is interference between the pan and front axle there's not a lot that can be done. The Isuzu the Bosch A injection pump. Not a bad pump but not a lot of performance mods out there. Same style pump was used on 4bt industrial engines. The Isuzu has replaceable sleeves which can be considered a positive. Instead of boring the block, you just replace the sleeves and stay standard bore. Both engines are direct injection but later model Isuzu 4bd2t was indirect.There's a section on the forum dedicated to those engines so you can do some reading.
Thanks for the info. It doesn’t sound like I’m gonna be interested in this motor. I’m not one of those guys that has to have EVERYTHING built to a ridiculous standard. But I do like ease,convenience, and simplicity very much

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a few projects in mind but currently I’m working on a 1991 Ford Ranger extended cab. I already have a 4 b that I’m using.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Rangers have been popular swap candidates over the years. You say you have a 4b not a 4bt? You Will find a few differences in the engines. Of course, the 4b has no turbo. It has different pistons with a higher compression ratio and different piston rings. If you plan on a turbo you should change the pistons and rings. The turbo oil drain on the block skirt may be plugged or not even bored depending on the age of the engine. Some early engines did not have the piston cooling nozzles. If it doesn't have them, then don't put a turbo on it. A 4b will likely have a different injection pump than a 4bt. These are a few of the reasons converting a "b" to a "bt" tends to be an expensive project.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry. I miss typed my motor IS IN FACT factory turbocharged.
But I appreciate the info. I was not aware of all the differences between the b and bt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to the tag on the valve cover my motor was built in 1988 and it is the 105 HP version

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My goal is for the engine to deliver 300 Dino proven, fuel only, rear wheel horsepower through an automatic transmission

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Well, that possibly can be done, but you'll be pushing the VE injection pump that came on the engine to its limits. Going to need a heck of good automatic transmission. Torque level at that point will be way above what most auto transmissions can handle. Better plan on several engine mods as well. Twin turbos would be one. Head studs, HD valve springs, bigger oil pump, piston lift pump, 5x.012 injectors, and 7 plate oil cooler would be a few more. You're talking about tripling the power output. Will need a very good intercooler to keep the heat in check. Member Eggman is probably getting close to that number on his F250. Don't believe he's had it on a dyno yet. Hope you have a good differential in you plan.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My VE pump after adding the LP piston lift pump will produce WAY more fuel than I need with 40 PSI at the manifold with it set to still run clean across the RPM range.......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My plan is to convert it to an inline injection pump. I want the AFC live adjustable fuel plate as well. It has to be usable power and clean. I’m well past the smokey exhaust stage of my life

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
If you change to the P7100 injection pump then 300 HP is very doable. That is a fairly expensive change over. Usually cheaper to buy the engine with that pump. You have to change the pump, injection lines, injectors, front gear housing and cover, drive gear, lift pump, and all the misc hoses and parts needed. Unless you luck up on one of the pumps for cheap, that's a pretty serious investment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was very fortunate to find a remanned pump for $300.00
JUST the pump though. I will need the lines front cover etc.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Is that a P7100? A reman of that pump is usually around $3500. There were 2 other inline pumps on those engines. The P3000 and the A. They aren't in the same league as the P7100. There would be an ID plate on the pump to tell you which model it is. It will start with PES4P if it's a P pump and end in a 4 digit number beginning with a 3 for the P3000 and a 7 for the P7100. If the number starts out PES4A then it's an A pump. Got any photos of yours?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts