Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped a 4bt into my 30’ model A and I have the A pump with an RQV governor on it. I think it’s RQV, it is the on road use governor so i may be wrong. Is there anyway to turn up the fuel like you can on the P pump?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
The RQV governor would be kind of rare on an A series pump. Every one I've ever seen has the RSV. A pump 4bts were all industrial. The A pump can be turned up some but you don't find much info on the forum because few ever use that one. It's not a bad pump but not a lot of performance mod info out there. Has no where near the power possible with the P7100. There are companies who do performance work on those and can turn them into fire breathing dragons. No idea how expensive that gets. For one thing, the A has much smaller fuel delivery valves than a P series. If you look on the pump ID tag, you should see a number PES4A. The number after that is the size of the delivery valve. P pump show 120 which is 12mm where an A is likely 95 which is 9.5mm. One of the companies who modifies the A pump is Fair Valley Performance. Might contact them for some advice. If you do have the RQV governor, one mod that might help some is install a higher RPM governor spring. 3000 RPM is usually a good choice. Advancing the pump timing can also help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The RQV governor would be kind of rare on an A series pump. Every one I've ever seen has the RSV. A pump 4bts were all industrial. The A pump can be turned up some but you don't find much info on the forum because few ever use that one. It's not a bad pump but not a lot of performance mod info out there. Has no where near the power possible with the P7100. There are companies who do performance work on those and can turn them into fire breathing dragons. No idea how expensive that gets. For one thing, the A has much smaller fuel delivery valves than a P series. If you look on the pump ID tag, you should see a number PES4A. The number after that is the size of the delivery valve. P pump show 120 which is 12mm where an A is likely 95 which is 9.5mm. One of the companies who modifies the A pump is Fair Valley Performance. Might contact them for some advice. If you do have the RQV governor, one mod that might help some is install a higher RPM governor spring. 3000 RPM is usually a good choice. Advancing the pump timing can also help.
Thank you for the reply. I have advanced the timing already. Do you or anybody have a P pump for sale or know where i could get one?

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
If you decide to jump on the P7100 wagon just be sure you know it can be expensive. I've read that a brand new Bosch 4bt P7100 lists for over $10,000 if you could find one. Have seen rebuilt units for $3500. Right now, there are several used ones on ebay for $1595 + $22.40 frt. That would be considered a bargain. On top of that you'll need new injection lines, the pump brace, new front gear housing, pump drive gear and nut, new injectors, and some other misc parts. Depending on how well you shop you might have another $1500 or more in the pot. You'll also need a power steering pump that fits with that pump. It's a big sucker. After you get it you'd want to figure another couple hundred in mods. Although they are getting scarce, you can almost buy a complete engine with the P7100 for near the cost of changing the pump. Here's a link to the used ones on ebay. Bosch Cummins 4bt P7100 on road P pump 4 cylinder on road useable injection pump | eBay There are also some cheap aftermarket clones of the P pump but buyer beware. They aren't the genuine Bosch unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am currently doing the mentioned injection pump swap from a non-turbo A pump industrial engine to the P pump. Char, as usual, is spot on with his analysis of the expense to make the switch. I ultimately decided to go forward with it because there is so much after market support and tuning opportunities with the P pump. Does anyone know if I will be able to run my stock camshaft or is that something I will need to replace too? I am building with the HX30 turbo and I am only looking for around 200 hp.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I have advanced the timing already. Do you or anybody have a P pump for sale or know where i could get one?
I know a place near me sells p pump conversion kits and pumps themselves. Dieseltuff. ships world wide. 10k for a pump is stupid, 1500 usd at this place.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
93 Fummins, your stock cam should do fine in the 200 HP range. Doesn't take a lot to get one of these engines to 200 HP, especially if you have a P7100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts