Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is cody and ive got a neat little project in mind. I want to put the 4bt cummins in my 1992 Ranger. Other than getting the motor and making it fit (a task all its own) i come to the issue of using the Mazda M50D-R1 tranny that came stock in my ranger along the the 4.0L v6. I want to use this transmission because that would help out on the bugget end of things because i wouldnt have to get a new T case to fit another tranny along with front and rear ends, and get custom drive lines front and rear....in other words i might as well build another truck from scratch if i cant figure this out. So my question to all of you is where or how or even if theres one on this planet can i get an adapter plate from the 4bt to my Mazda M50D-R1 5 speed. Using this tranny will make or break it for me....any help or tips from anyone who has done this swap would be awsome!!!

to anyone who wants to know ive done some work to my ranger so i can have a lil more fun with it :D....so far it has a 4inch rough country lift sitting on 31/10.5 Hankook dynapros with vision 375 wheels...the 4.0l has had some work done to it. The tranny was rebuilt about 3,000 miles ago along with a new clutch. i love this little truck, it goes ANYWHERE!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
My donor van was a Ford Grumman, It had a T-19 in back of the 4BT, I went with a M5R2 (1992 F-150) they were also in the Rangers. So get yourself a Ford adapter plate and read the stickies at top of this post. Go down to transmission and pick yours and read on. Everything you need to know is there thanks to BobS. There are other builds with Rangers so search them out and read read read. Good Luck

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is my opinion that the 4bt would overpower that trans in short order. Save your money, get the right parts and do the swap correctly the first time would be my advice. If I remember correctly a stock 4bt has approxamately as much torque as a 350 chev V8. I also wonder if you should SAS the front axle also. The dana 30 in the front of my jeep has been carrying around the 4bt for a few years now but then again I don't wheel this rig very hard.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The tranny was rebuilt about 3,000 miles ago along with a new clutch. i love this little truck, it goes ANYWHERE!!!
Bolt that tranny up behind the 4bt and it wont be going anywhere soon enough. The m5od-r1 wont hold up to the 4bt. Find yourself a m5od-r2 from a 97+ f150.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the fast replies...so it seems as tho i should steer away from the idea of using my tranny....what are some good setups then..i would like to use dana 60's under it at some point. As far as reading the "stickies" i didnt find anything, anyone want to help ??

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
go to the build up section and search for Ranger. you should find enough info and opinions to keep you occupied for a while. The M5R2 and ZF S5 have both been used in Rangers. This is a project so you can also use other brand's transmissions with the proper adapter plates. It may be easier to find yourself a 4BT and get the trans that would correspond to the adapter plate that the engine comes with rather than trying to find a specific engine/adapter plate combo. As buying an adapter/flywheel can add significantly to the price of a swap. Just my 2¢

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is a huge difference in strength (not to mention bolt pattern) betwen the M5OD-R1 and M5OD-R2!!

You need a R2 from an F150, they are dirt cheep, sell yours and get a R2. You will likely break even!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts